Is CPU Temp To Low

Hi i would like if anyone could help me as i have spent so long looking for and cannot find or get info on

I have a amd athlon x2 240 not overclocked and for some reason my cpu temp is when running games ect 23c MAX
i am pretty sure that before it was a little higher i have since found that it can handle upto 74 via AMD website i also have noticed a slight decrease in speed while running games. i think this started while my os was win7 64 bit ultimate and just crashed i since done a fresh install and gone back to win xp 64bit. it does run but as i say 23c while running high apps and games is this normal i would be very grateful if anyone could help me with this as i dont really want to pay to send it off but if no help then thats my only option thanks in advanced
20 answers Last reply
More about temp
  1. There's no such thing as too cool ;) But if you're sure these temps aren't right then you may have a faulty sensor. The only thing to worry about really is if your actual temp raises, you won't know about it. If it's not causing any problems though I wouldn't send it off.
  2. Thanks alot thats got a load of my mind also what can i do about possibly having a faulty sensor also my cpu temp via bios says about 34c but when using at least 4 cpu heat programs they say 23c are these programs what you call sensor's or aree they something copmpletely different
  3. You have various sensors on your motherboard that monitor temperatures of your components. If one of these becomes faulty then there isn't an awful lot you can do about it really apart from obviously a new motherboard. If its a question of what your BIOS says against a third-party program I would trust your BIOS.

What program are you using to monitor your temps? HWMonitor is a good free utility. Google it for the download. I have an Athlon II X4 at stock speeds and with the stock cooler and it runs very cool. It currently idles around 21-22C. If you have good airflow through your case then your temps are definitely possible. Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it starts causing problems. Good luck!
  4. Thanks again mate much appreciated HWMonitor is one that i use aswell as a few others i cant remember the names as i got them yesterday and i am on a different pc thanks again as it has been buggin me cheers :)
  5. Is that the "Core" temp or "CPU" temp. On my Athlon II 250, the core temp is low by around 10C. The CPU temp looks about right however. What does you CPU temp (in HWMonitor) say at idle/load (note it may be mislabeled, go with the one that changes).
  6. i have upload a screen shot hopefully this will be more use than myself thanks again :)
  7. I wish i had those temps :) You should be happy :P
  8. exela said:
    I wish i had those temps :) You should be happy :P

lol i should be but it is only that i had a fatal crash and i am sure the cpu temp has changed and also slight reduced performance in gaming but then again i did have a mod with the game and now have removed it seems to run ok :S :P
  9. D:\111.png

not sure if i am doing this right
  10. D:\111.png

not sure if i am doing this right
  11. When temps are Low run your temp program while running prime95 and monitor the temps. Do they increase and do they seem resonable when the cpu is loaded. If the temps do not increase under load then the most likely cause is the software. 23 C under load seems low (no experience with your CPU), Would expect approx at least 8 to 10 C higher than your room temp.

Idle temps may, or may not be valid. Core temps will ALWAYS be higher than room (ambient) temp. The "on-die" sensors are not always accurate at low temps as they are designed to measure higher temps in order to protect the CPU from overheat (The sensor is accurate, but nonlinear and the measuring program does not compensate for the nonlineararity)

EXT64's idle temp of 10C is a good example of an invalid reading for an aircooled HSF, unless is house is like a fridge ( 50 F). Most likely the temp is below the software threashold and is displaying the low "Rail"
  12. I just built a Athlon II x3 for my neighbor, on a rosewill zx5 heatsink his max is around 25c, the Athlon II architecture is amazingly low temped.
  13. RetiredChief said:
    When temps are Low run your temp program while running prime95 and monitor the temps. Do they increase and do they seem resonable when the cpu is loaded. If the temps do not increase under load then the most likely cause is the software. 23 C under load seems low (no experience with your CPU), Would expect approx at least 8 to 10 C higher than your room temp.

Idle temps may, or may not be valid. Core temps will ALWAYS be higher than room (ambient) temp. The "on-die" sensors are not always accurate at low temps as they are designed to measure higher temps in order to protect the CPU from overheat (The sensor is accurate, but nonlinear and the measuring program does not compensate for the nonlineararity)

Thanks alot for your post i have taken on board what you have said and have a better understanding within this area of cpu thanks for taking the time to reply many thanks again :sol:
  14. Computerrock1 said:
    I just built a Athlon II x3 for my neighbor, on a rosewill zx5 heatsink his max is around 25c, the Athlon II architecture is amazingly low temped.

Thanks for the info glad to hear its not a problem within my system cheers :sol:
  15. Ref Computerrock1
    25 C at idle is beleivable, 10 C, or anything below room temp would not be.

Try googling for "Normal" temps, under load for your Proccessor.
  16. I agree with you, personally i think there is something wrong with his motherboard, but he refuses to rma it for me. At this point I really don't care, the guy just wants a office cpu and I'm not woried about his cpu going up to max temp any time soon.
  17. Computerrock1 said:
    I agree with you, personally i think there is something wrong with his motherboard, but he refuses to rma it for me. At this point I really don't care, the guy just wants a office cpu and I'm not woried about his cpu going up to max temp any time soon.

sorry when you say i refuse to rma 1st of i dont no what that means and second of all i am sorry if you have a had bad day dont take it out on me and i would only guess that you couldnt care less about my cpu maxing *** man some people
  18. and how would you no what cpu i want can you mind read WOW change your career if you can because there is alot of money in it for you
  19. What i do? I was talking about another experience with my last customer, not you!
  20. I've had unreliable temp readings from third party monitoring software. Sometimes you have to try different utilities until you find one that works.

This week I installed a new Asus M5A99FX Pro r2.0, and both Core Temp and Passmark were giving me CPU temps in the 15C range. I also noticed Passmark reporting periodic spikes in the temp readings all the way to 99C while running the "Max CPU Temperature" test (which freaked me out for a second). I knew something wasn't right, so I checked the temp in the BIOS to confirm the sensor was working. BIOS read 32C at idle, which was more reasonable.

I tried a couple other monitoring programs until I found ones that matched the BIOS temp reading. SpeedFan and Asus Probe II both worked and matched each other perfectly. I double checked by loading the CPU for a while, then rebooting to check the BIOS temp and confirmed all the readings matched between BIOS, SpeedFan, and Asus Probe.

Since Passmark wasn't reporting correct temps, I tried using Asus Probe to monitor temps while running the Passmark load tests. That didn't work. Probe didn't refresh its display while the load test was running. It just hung up -- no good for real time monitoring. Luckily SpeedFan worked well during the load tests, and I was finally able to get accurate temperature and fan speed data.

Here are my temps:

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo cooler

Idle 30C after 5 minutes idle
    Max 47C after 10 minutes full load

Anyhow, I read a lot of threads related to this issue over the past couple days and thought I'd share.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Games