Solved

Use hardrive from previous pc in new custom pc?

Okay so I am building a new pc and as all of you may know the prices on Harddrives are pretty high now. My previous compaq PC has a 500gb harddrive. Can I use it in my new custom built pc in order to save money? How do I find out if it is compatible?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hardrive previous custom
  1. Best answer
    Yes you can use it as long as it has an SATA connection.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
    Its been a standard for years and even my 6 year old computer has one although it is slower it is still compatible to modern boards.

You will lose all of the information you had on it though, because you have to format (clear it) before you can install a working version of windows.
  2. andrewcarr said:
    Yes you can use it as long as it has an SATA connection.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
    Its been a standard for years and even my 6 year old computer has one although it is slower it is still compatible to modern boards.

You will lose all of the information you had on it though, because you have to format (clear it) before you can install a working version of windows.

Okay thanks. You just saved me $100+. It says Sata on the system specs next to the harddrive so I guess that means it supports it.
  3. Best answer selected by Destroyer432.
  4. It is compatible but just remember that your hard drive is a mechanical device it WILL fail eventually. It is a matter of time NOT if. Just keep that in mind when putting an old drive in a new build. My rule of thumb is that if the drive is 3-4 years old its time to get a new one.
  5. Yes it will fail eventually but smaller drives (less disks) are more reliable and certain brands are more reliable. I consider this an okay but temporary solution just until prices come back down on mechanical drives.
  6. andrewcarr said:
    Yes it will fail eventually but smaller drives (less disks) are more reliable and certain brands are more reliable. I consider this an okay but temporary solution just until prices come back down on mechanical drives.

That is exactly how I see it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Compatibility Compaq Storage Product