My SMPS gets burnt very often

pramodh

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Hello,

I am currently using a PC with Intel P4 Processor. Check out this thread for full information on my current specs: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281719-28-computer-upgrade-help-please

There is a problem with my computer. My SMPS gets burnt or gets corrupt very often. I have asked many of my friends and relatives and they say that their SMPS has never got corrupt.

I bought this computer about 4 years ago, and from that time I have changed the SMPS for about 4 - 5 times. Even yesterday, again the SMPS got corrupted. Only the red light on the CPU blinked and the SMPS didn't run at all.

When I asked about the problem in the shops, they said you need to buy an UPS as the voltage fluctuations might cause the SMPS to get burnt. I even installed an UPS. But still the problem continues.

I am not able to figure out what the problem is. I even checked for the grounding and its all perfect. Is this any problem with motherboard or processor? Please help me out with this. I have heard that this is a very unusual problem.

FYI, I used Intex SMPS in the beginning and now I am using Mercury SMPS. Both had troubles.

Also, I wanted to upgrade my CPU components. I even need help in the above linked thread. I am afraid if this SMPS problem haunts me even after the upgrade!

Pleas help. Thanks in advance!

Intex and Mercury power supplies are not available in the USA so I do not know anything about them. I checked several references and discovered both power supplies are available in India. We have had threads in the past indicating there are problems with electrical power fluctuations in India. I do not know how common the problem is.

shubham1401

Distinguished
I have 2 Intex Power supplies in my garage. One had fried my Pentium 4 rig nearly 5 years ago(Mobo, Proccy and RAM)!

They are not very good quality PSU. They Weigh no more than 500gms. They are generic stuff.

What you need to do is to get a good and reliable Power supply (SMPS).

Some good PSU to look for:
Gigabyte Superb 460W for Rs2100
Corsair 400CX for Rs3000

elricthefullmetal

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Get a good quality SMPS and a good UPS. I vote for a Cooler Master SMPS RS-460-ASAA-D3, which is actually an overkill for your specs but well just to be sure. This will cost you around Rs. 3500 ($65). If you really don't want to overspend, then a Cooler Master RS-350-PCAR-I3 is what you should go for. This should work fine with your specs. This baby comes for Rs. 1500 (Approx. $25).

My point is to go for a quality power supply and get rid of cheap quality PSU's that you were using in past. A decent 500VA UPS should work fine for you. If voltage fluctuation are messing up things for you, then may be get a automatic voltage regulator?

Also not trying to be rude or anything, but you are suppose to clean PSU fan from time to time just to make sure it don't burn... (Usually PSU stops functioning when it gets heated up but sometimes they just get burnt!)

shubham1401

Distinguished

:non: Cooler Master RS-350-PCAR-I3 :non:

shubham1401

Distinguished

Coolermaster Extreme Power series PSUs were Mediocre quality Power supplies.
They are old designs having no PFC.

If you want a CM PSU then at least go for Real Power series or higher.