Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H can't overclock unless using 3D bios

Last response: in Overclocking
December 23, 2012 2:39:29 PM

I'm having problems overclocking my i5-3570k while in the default advanced view in bios. It shows up that my cpu is unlocked. But I can not manually change the clock settings, and yes i have it to advanced/extreme profile settings.

But heres the weird part, if i switch it to gigabytes 3D bios i'm able to overclock by just adjusting the slider. Which is strange cuz if i can overclock in 3D bios why can't I overclock in the non-noob view? What i want to do is leave the default clock speed @ 3.4 and overclock it boost speed up to 4.1, i've see ppl do this on other similar gigabyte boards.

The reason i don't just use the 3D bios overclock is cause it increases the default speed so my gpu running overclocked 24/7 using more power & making more heat when it isn't needed. Any tips? I'm on the F8 bios currently and noticed F9 has released and F10 is in beta could this just be my bios needs an update? Also i'm pretty sure i have revision 1.0 of the board.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 8:55:36 AM

Hrm I have a Z77X - DS3... Sounds like you are doing something wrong.

Probably a stupid question, but are using PGUP and PGDWN to adjust clock settings in the normal BIOS (not 3D)?

and FYI I have revision 1.1 and I thought BIOS version was F15 but I may be wrong.

Bios revision may help but it still sounds really screwy... Even with an older BIOS version you should be able to adjust chip clock.. You did buy a 3570K and not a 3570 right???

And stop increasing your BCLK speed if you are - thats probably the best possible way to ruin your PC in a hurry.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 10:56:07 AM

BCLK isn't going to hurt it 1 bit. If its a k version or not, the BCLK OC's everything, If it simply doesn't like it, you simply get a Blue screen or a restart, nothing will be hurt. Its how you OC smaller then OCing the multi. I'm AMD user and never did much of messing around with an Intel besides the i5 2500k I use to have.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 1, 2013 3:25:36 PM

http://youtu.be/NxCPyF-1tTc?t=7m10s

this is the video I used to learn how to overclock. He's using a slightly different board but its a gigabyte and also has the 3D bios. My bios detects the K version which i got so i can overclock. If you watch the video you can see he can manually change the numbers but I can't eve adjust it. But ya he also shows the 3D bios sumwhere in the video where he just slides bar that controls the clock ratio.

For my board theres 2 versions 1.1 & 1.0 and they both require different bios version. I checked the version directly on my board and its 1.0 and i did updated the bios before installing windows. Few months later I find out theres a new version and beta version available.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 8:07:11 PM

I'm telling you - Leave the BCLK for AMD users. Using an unlocked processor there are 0 reasons for you to mess with it. Risk is not worth the reward.
m
l
January 28, 2013 5:23:38 AM

Help I heff The same problem
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 4:33:15 AM

To start, turn off the 3D Bios. Look for the unlocked frequency.
If you can't find it, you are doing something wrong.
m
l
!