Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help Me Decide - My New Build

Last response: in Components
May 8, 2010 5:58:32 PM

Hi, I'm new to tomshardware. I'm currently planning out my second build, and am looking for a "proofread" if you will, on what everyone thinks about what I have picked out. I'm decently tech savvy, but no expert by any means.

Before I list all the specs, I wanna talk about what my goal is in building a new computer:

1) Be able to play almost any game on max or close to max settings over the next 2 (or more if possible) years.
2) Have DirectX 11 support
3) Have the ability to significantly upgrade later while also not getting too crappy of stuff now.
4) Stay as much under $1500 dollars as possible

So with that in mind, please let me know what you think is overkill, not good enough, or hitting the nail right on the head, and I'll appreciate it very much! Here is a spreadsheet I made for my new build:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AudqSUJxZivTdG...

Please keep in mind my goals when responding. Thanks in advance for all the help!

More about : decide build

Best solution

May 8, 2010 6:06:35 PM

Looks solid to me. The AM3 platform is definitely a good choice since you have the ability to drop a 6-core CPU in the same board if you wish to do so in the future. That CPU also overclocks well. You could get away with dropping that PSU to a 650W if you wanted to although I'd stick with Corsair. Good luck and happy computing!
May 8, 2010 6:19:41 PM

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. Since you brought up the PSU, I have a question. If I were to upgrade to a second video card and run dual cards, would I have to upgrade to like a 1000w in the future? If so, then going down to 650w might be a good idea.
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2010 6:28:42 PM

According to the official nVidia specs for your graphics card, the maximum it will pull is 250W. The minimum recommended total system power is 600W hence my recommendation on the 650W. So yeah, in reality you're probably looking at around 900-1000W for two 480 GTX's to be safe.
m
l
May 8, 2010 6:51:06 PM

I see. So the computer I have in the spreadsheet would with 100% assurance never pull over 650w, if even 600? I'll gladly save $32 bucks downgrading if that's the case. That would bring me to pretty much an even $1300 for the PC.

Also, if anyone has bought these parts from somewhere else for a cheaper price than I have listed, please do let me know!

EDIT: Found this nifty little tool on Corsair's site: http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx and discovered you were indeed correct, as it recommended I use a 650w PSU. Thanks very much for pointing that out :) 
m
l
May 8, 2010 8:55:50 PM

Best answer selected by Vivere.
m
l
!