Your question
Solved

Help choosing new PSU for old board.

Last response: in Components
May 8, 2010 6:33:21 PM

First off, my i7 is being RMA'd atm.

My old computer is:
Mobo-Asus A8v socket 939 rev. 2.0
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice (@300fsb x8- 2.4ghz)
Ram-2x 1gb Kingston Value Ram 400mhz
HD-(7200 rpm IDE 80gb.. I think its a WD )
Case- CAF 932
Heatsink- Scythe Mugen 2
Vid Card-GeForce 6200A LE
PSU- Antec SL350

I put this pc in my new HAF 932 and replaced the stock HS with the Scythe Mugen 2 while my i7's being RMA'd for fun.(dropped idle temps from 47°C to 24°C)

I have been o/cing this rig and so far i've gotten up to 2.6ghz but the problem seems to be my psu isnt powerful enough to get me to 3ghz, i know i can reach it,and i need a new one. I want a new PSU quick but i'm having trouble picking one out. My biggest problem is finding a PSU with the p4 4pin 12v connector that matches my board...seems like most newer psu's have 6pin connectors. Can someone please help me find a new PSU for this old board?

Thanks

More about : choosing psu board

May 8, 2010 9:03:05 PM

Well i do think i misinterpreted the errors i was having. Although i did get some nasty random restarts @ vcore high settings. It sounded like the PC cut off for a few second then kicked back on...no bios settings were set to default so i didnt think it was the OC. Anywho, i'm really interested in the first one you posted, the 400w corsair. Do you think this would be enough for this old machine?

*edit* does that corsair 400w have the p4 +12v connector i need?
Related resources

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
May 9, 2010 10:49:41 AM

I think there may be a misunderstanding about power supply cables and motherboard connections.

A psu's 6 pin connector is a PCI-e power connector for video cards.

Motherboards require two power connections. The main connection requires either a 20 pin or a 24 pin connection. Power supply manufacturers have it covered both ways. Modern power supplies come with a 20+4 pin power connector. It can be used as either a 20 pin connection or a 24 pin connection.

The secondary motherboard power connection is either a 4 pin or an 8 pin connection. Again, manufacturers have it covered both ways. They developed the 4+4 pin power connector. It can be used as either a 4 pin or an 8 pin power connection. If a 4 pin power connection is all that is required, then just plug in one of the 4 pin connectors. It doesn't matter which one.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty.

You mentioned that you returned an i7. What happended? Are you building a new rig? If so, then it seems to me you would be better off listing your components for the new build so we could make psu recommendations for your new rig. The power supply would be backwards compatible with your old system.

May 9, 2010 11:38:56 AM

I've already built my new rig:

Intel i7 920 processor
Radeon HD 5850 Vapor-X(Thanks for the RMA upgrade Sapphire!)
Asus Rampage II extreme
OCZ 2Gx3gb OCZ3P1600LV6GK
Corsair TX 850W
Samsung HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502H

The reason I'm messing with this old rig is bc my wife still uses it and my rampage, ocz ram, and all my i7 components are unusable atm. So for fun i swapped this old board out of its terriblly old case and installed it in the HAF 932 and added the first aftermarket heatsink this Asus a8v mobo has seen(Scythe Mugen)..until my i7 returns. I've been wanting to try to OC this older rig for a while now but havent had a decent enough case/ cpu cooler..I wanna squeeze what i can out of this old pc.

*edit*And you were right, after reading your post i took a good loock at my Corsair TX850 and found the 8pin power connector split into 4 pin. That's crazy i didnt see it, i've checked it 3 times.

On the i7..seems the memory controller was bad (and i still hit 4.1ghz on stock voltages).
May 15, 2010 11:58:00 PM

Best answer selected by admilitaryman.
!