Computer will not turn on after hitting mobo power

Equilibrium

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
I recently put together a computer (first time) and thought I was doing fine because I hit the power button and all the case and heat sink fans would turn and the mobo would light up. The problem is that I could not get it to post. I didn't get any beeps but I was using new speakers so I wasn't sure they were working or not.

Of course I started messing around with it and pressed the reset and then the power button on the motherboard. Now nothing lights up or spins. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem? A friend is going to bring over an old psu to see if that crapped out. I am really worried that my random button pressing fried the mobo and everything else. :-(

Asus p6x58d premium
i7 920
True 120
Corsair 850hx
Corsair dominator 3x2 gb
XFX 5870
WD caviar black 1tb

arges86

Distinguished
the system beeps are not from the speakers.
I would first (i know it sounds like a pain) unplug everything and then plug it all back in. Make sure its all in correctly.
The GPU and the CPU have dedicated power which runs their fans. So those rails may work.
If the rail going to the mobo is bad, then the case fans wont turn on. Make sure the ATX 12V connection in the mobo is secure. Most modern boards have a 2pin and a 4pin connection. Make sure you have them both plugged in.

The system beeps come from an internal speaker plugged into the motherboard. The "boot problem" sticky will tell you where to get one.

If you do not have one, you really need one, particularly with a dead system.

Corsairs are really good PSU's, but occasionally someone gets one that is DOA. Any PSU that you swap for troubleshooting should be of similar capacity.

TRENDING THREADS