Sign in with
Your question

Idle Tempe a little high?

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2010 2:59:51 AM

So my new system is up and running. I really think the idle temp is a little high for what it is. I am running a i3 530 with standard heatsink/fan with an Asus h55-m pro motherboard. This was my first built system. First boot everything was fine. Running 4 gigs of ripjaw ram @ 1600 I reseated heatsink several times to try and make sure it was on properly, still 37c on idle. i have had it as low as 33c idle. This seems a bit high considering it's not overclocked, i AM using the integrated gpu etc... Could that be the reason? It's still a couple days till my video card arrives... zzf sucks w/speed of shipping. So i am waiting on that, will that take some temps off the CPU since it will be running off the video card? I am running a azza helios 910 case with 4 fans... and an OCZ fatality PSU.. 550.

Kinda noob question, i just plugged the heatsink fan into the 1 power slot, i had nothing that went into the chasis fan power slot. am i missing something?

More about : idle tempe high

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2010 5:48:57 AM

On most boards, the PC won't POST without a fan being hooked to the CPU fan header. So, I'd guess you're ok there.

It's a little warm, but nothing I'd lose sleep over. According to Intel, your CPU's themal max spec is 72.6C, so you're not going to damage it. I'd imagine taking the load off the on-die GPU will help your temps. How about load temps?
m
l
March 2, 2010 6:22:53 AM

Right now with Prime95 Blend test.. it's around 61 after the first test finished ...60 after 2nd test. i would eventually like to oc this, i guess i will need to buy a different cooler or something. i swore people were pulling 4.0's on this w/o any other cooler. I'll wait till i get the video card, maybe reseat it again... for the 5th time heh.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2010 6:28:23 AM

Well, it's working! ;) 

I know it's redundant, but are you sure the HSF is on right? I install mine with the board out, I just like to see those pins split around the hole. Wait, that sounds weird. You know what I mean.
m
l
March 2, 2010 6:41:30 AM

I'm almost 100% sure it is. i can take it off and put it back on, the last time i didn't turn the knobs towards the arrows because whenever i did, it ended up being loose.. Last time i did it, there was no movement when i gently pulled on all sides. *sigh* lol.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2010 6:47:02 AM

So, I take it you're ready to sign this petition to stop producing HSF's with those pushpins? Hate those things...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2010 7:08:51 AM

According to Windows yes, but I don't know enough about the new Core architecture to tell you. I've had Windows tell me my CPU was at ridiculous frequencies before too, like 6Ghz.
m
l
March 2, 2010 8:50:54 AM

Checked it, it's on there solid. So it definitely isn't the seating of the HSF. Also i noticed in bios my asus board auto overclocks the ram/cpu .. so maybe that's why it's 3.5? I changed it to "auto" instead of the 1 profile listed, and the 3.53 from windows 7 dissapeared... Temp stayed the same though lol.. i guess if it is indeed overclocked... even if i use the turboV program.. which i have uninstalled because it's a pos... the temps dont increase much. Maybe i just need to get some new thermal stuff and try that i am in florida so things tend to run hotter but usually not in march heh
m
l
March 2, 2010 6:51:16 PM

You say that you have reseated the HSF several times, did you clean the HSF and CPU and reapply new thermal paste each time?
m
l
March 2, 2010 7:08:28 PM

No i didn't. I am going to try some paste first and see if it does anything, last option would be to get a new cooler, the way my psu is, it's ass getting the 8 pin connected all the way to the top of the motherboard as it is.. in fact the power line runs over the top of the cpu HS, so a bigger one would be a pain in the ass to reroute that wire...
m
l
March 2, 2010 7:14:11 PM

You have to clean and reapply new thermal paste, otherwise you are likely to trap air bubbles which would make your CPU run at a higher temperature.
m
l
March 2, 2010 7:24:51 PM

I'll give it a try. Arctic silver 5 is recommended paste i see most, i guess another order has to be made... heh i see a computer place in texas with it for about $5 cheaper than newegg.I'll make an order.thx again
m
l
March 2, 2010 7:27:21 PM

Arctic Silver 5 is a true and tried paste, personally I am using Arctic Cooling MX-3 which is an even better paste, but for your needs any paste should suffice.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2010 8:58:47 PM

Definately try the aftermarket pastes, it does help somewhat. Although recently I used the artic cooling mx-2 one and I must say I don't see a difference over that one and artic silver 5. Only thing I will say is the mx-2 one went on much easier then the artic silver 5.

Also do yourself a favor and get a better hsf

While I type this I realize I used MX-2 paste on my new amd proc. I didn't even realize they made a mx-3 version. :)  OH well, my proc is running happy at a 29-30 c idle.
m
l
March 3, 2010 6:02:12 PM

How long does the system need to be off and cooled to remove the paste, reinstall? I bought some arctic silver.
m
l
March 3, 2010 6:06:14 PM

No need to do so, just remove the heatsink, clean CPU and heatsink with some rubbing alcohol, apply the new thermal paste, and reseat the HSF, and hopefully you are all done. :) 
m
l
March 4, 2010 3:13:46 AM

Joy the fun continues, cleaned stock paste off, put arctic silver 5 on, temps up 7c at idle. ...sigh

After several tries i went to the frowned upon method of using a sandwich baggie and spreading the paste.... temps @ 32-35c idle now. not 20s like i want. but oh well, for now im content to see how this ends up after 200 hours
m
l
March 4, 2010 8:54:17 AM

So i used the credit card method as my last attempt tonight, btw.. when i said it was 32-35 earlier, well it went upto 38ish and held there.So i tried to apply again. Im back around 37-40 on idle again. Not sure what to do next... tried the finger in plastic bag. and had the same result as with a credit card, just making a small line gives me 40-43 idle temps. Maybe tomorrow, i'll try a small blob in the middle and let it ride it out for awhile and see where it ends up. Nothing in my case is anywhere near in temps, motherboard is like 21... gpu is like 29. I just realized i am reading real temp wrong. i thought for the last 3 hours, my idle temps were down to 27-30.. little did i know, that's for each core. So while it only lists them individually... HW monitor,asus probe 2, and speedfan all say 40+

SIGH!
m
l
March 4, 2010 9:28:18 AM

Sorry to hear about that, but as you said, try different methods, and also different amounts of paste, also, AC5 have a looong curing period, it is said up to 200 hours, so after some time you might see a 1-2° C drop compared to where you started.

Do not get too hung up on the idle temps, what is important is the temp you have at load.

Download Prime95 and OCCT and stress your computer with either one, preferably both, do an hour of OCCT and if your computer is stable and within acceptable temps, run Prime95 overnight.
Now you will know that temps will always stay within an acceptable limit and that your system is stable.
m
l
!