Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about my X1900XTX and monitor compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 19, 2010 1:43:35 AM

Hello-

I have a x1900xtx and I was looking at purchasing a larger display, in particular a 30" Dell 3007WFP. On the Dell page for the display is the following warning:


IMPORTANT: To view the 3007WFP-HC monitor native resolution of 2560x1600, your PC must have a dual-link DVI-D compatible graphics card that supports this resolution.

From my video card's specifications, I see this: http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1900/radeonx1900xtx/...

Display Support

* Dual integrated dual-link DVI for high-resolution digital displays
* DVI-I connectors for digital CRTs or flat panel displays


The DVI receptacle on my video card appears to look like the one that is second from the top, with 3 rows of 8 and 4 squares around the slash as seen here:  VI_Connector_Types.svg" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:D VI_Connector_Types.s... (replace the smiley face thing with a colon and a D as I can't seem to get rid of it)

I've searched around but I'm still a little confused and I hope that you guys can clarify for me a bit. Is the monitors specification for a "dual-link DVI-D" compatible graphics card met by my card's specification above that says "dual integrated dual-link DVI for high resolution displays"?

If not, what happens if I plug this display into my X1900XTX as far as performance is concerned? Am I better off just getting a new video card?

Thanks for your comments.
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2010 11:39:39 AM

You will be ok and I use a modded x1900xt for every day use on my other rig and does a GOOD job.
m
0
l
February 19, 2010 3:02:53 PM

nforce4max said:
You will be ok and I use a modded x1900xt for every day use on my other rig and does a GOOD job.


When you say "OK" do you mean I'll be able to run the monitor in its native resolution without any problems? I'm a little confused about dual link DVI-D and the capability of my x1900xtx.

Thanks.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2010 3:21:21 PM

ualdriver said:
When you say "OK" do you mean I'll be able to run the monitor in its native resolution without any problems? I'm a little confused about dual link DVI-D and the capability of my x1900xtx.

Thanks.



http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-d-dual-link-digital...

This will work just fine and will use both connectors on the card. Performance in 2D should be good and is expected as such while gaming on such a display at native or full res will vary. The only problems you may have with your card if any wont be related to this unless driver is temperamental in your case. The card its self does require some regular maintenance like cleaning the dust from the intake at the rear of the cooler or cleaning of the fan. The thermal compound will need to be replaced after 6-12 months of use with arctic silver 5. The fan setting needs to be raised to at least 40% to avoid cooking the core while the VRM is going to run hot regardless. Mods to the vrm like placing small vram heatsinks on the choke coils will help with the electrical noise if there is any while reducing temps. Either than that this card is a work horse and should be more than enough for office and multimedia use for years to come. Gaming it is as good as it gets for DX9 era hardware and will even play Crysis at 1280x1024 with high settings except for shaders. I can do a video of my modded card if it is needed.
m
0
l
February 19, 2010 3:35:54 PM

nforce4max said:
http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-d-dual-link-digital...

This will work just fine and will use both connectors on the card. Performance in 2D should be good and is expected as such while gaming on such a display at native or full res will vary. The only problems you may have with your card if any wont be related to this unless driver is temperamental in your case. The card its self does require some regular maintenance like cleaning the dust from the intake at the rear of the cooler or cleaning of the fan. The thermal compound will need to be replaced after 6-12 months of use with arctic silver 5. The fan setting needs to be raised to at least 40% to avoid cooking the core while the VRM is going to run hot regardless. Mods to the vrm like placing small vram heatsinks on the choke coils will help with the electrical noise if there is any while reducing temps. Either than that this card is a work horse and should be more than enough for office and multimedia use for years to come. Gaming it is as good as it gets for DX9 era hardware and will even play Crysis at 1280x1024 with high settings except for shaders. I can do a video of my modded card if it is needed.


Sorry to be thick....But I didn't think the back of my x1900xtx had two DVI type plugs in the back. When I looked, there was only one (currently unused), and I "thought" my current monitor was plugged into some other type of plug that wasn't DVI?

The other stuff about general maintenance I do like cleaning out the dust and what not, but I didn't realize the thermal compound needed to be replaced that often. I assuming you're talking about the thermal compound between the heat sink and the CPU.

Sorry don't know what VRM is. I've built my own computer before but I probably only have a "moderate" level of knowledge :) 
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2010 3:44:12 PM

ualdriver said:
Sorry to be thick....But I didn't think the back of my x1900xtx had two DVI type plugs in the back. When I looked, there was only one (currently unused), and I "thought" my current monitor was plugged into some other type of plug that wasn't DVI?

The other stuff about general maintenance I do like cleaning out the dust and what not, but I didn't realize the thermal compound needed to be replaced that often. I assuming you're talking about the thermal compound between the heat sink and the CPU.

Sorry don't know what VRM is. I've built my own computer before but I probably only have a "moderate" level of knowledge :) 



LOL noob XD any way why I mentioned that area of the card is ware the air is sucked in and is ware is typically clogs up with dust. The stock compound degrades after a few months on most cards. As for the display connectors it shouldn't be much of a science so give it a shot. :)  The vrm on this card is this.



See the little black squares that say pulse on them that is what you should try to cool if you have the chance.



Now look at this pic, air is sucked in at the rear of the card (vrm end) and exhausted out the case like most other modern cards out there.
m
0
l
February 19, 2010 3:59:06 PM

nforce4max said:
LOL noob XD any way why I mentioned that area of the card is ware the air is sucked in and is ware is typically clogs up with dust. The stock compound degrades after a few months on most cards. As for the display connectors it shouldn't be much of a science so give it a shot. :)  The vrm on this card is this.

http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/12895/X1900XTX-HIS-IceQ3-front-wocooler-big.jpg

See the little black squares that say pulse on them that is what you should try to cool if you have the chance.

http://www.geek.com/xyzimages/stories/reviewimages/powercolor_x1900xtx/xtx_007.jpg

Now look at this pic, air is sucked in at the rear of the card (vrm end) and exhausted out the case like most other modern cards out there.


OK will do. Didn't know that plastic cover came off.
m
0
l
!