Solved

What is GT/s?

Does greater GT/s affect the total performance?
is a processor better in performance with larger GT/s?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what
  1. Gigatransfers per second.
    I assume you are talking about Quickpath Interconnect with the new intel processors. haha, "new" meaning 3 years old... the core i7s etc.
    I'd explain it myself but actually the first 5 results of google seem pretty good for "quickpath interconnect". If you need any specific information or are unclear on anything, let me know.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=quickpath+interconnect&aq=f&aqi=g5g-m2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
  2. Best answer
    There is no significant difference between the lower 4.8GT/s vs the higher 6.4GT/s(if you're talking about core i7s). 4.8GT/s provides 19.2GB/s bandwidth to the processor while 6.4GT/s provides 25.6GB/s, unless you can fully saturate 19.2GB/s(with video cards, hard drives, etc.)there is very little difference between them(tested it myself on my core i7 to see if it would do anything).
  3. i saw GT/s specified in the new 890 motherboards as motherboards having 6.4gt/s.
    So i was speaking generally.i dont know whether the term is specific with intel cpu s or their motherboards.

Coming to point,the phenom 965 has 4000MT/s and the some intel i series processors have some 4.8GT/s.
    i was wondering whether both were specifying something the same things or technology.

i have one more question,is the GT/s dependent on no. of cores or singly for the microprocessor.
    (ie.for larger the no of cores greater the GT/s)
  4. AMD uses a different but similar technology with regards to how it works, which is HyperTransport.
  5. rajiv1990 said:
    i saw GT/s specified in the new 890 motherboards as motherboards having 6.4gt/s.
    So i was speaking generally.i dont know whether the term is specific with intel cpu s or their motherboards.

Coming to point,the phenom 965 has 4000MT/s and the some intel i series processors have some 4.8GT/s.
    i was wondering whether both were specifying something the same things or technology.

i have one more question,is the GT/s dependent on no. of cores or singly for the microprocessor.
    (ie.for larger the no of cores greater the GT/s)

GT/s is GigaTransfers per second, so it's only how many times a signal is sent per second.
    Amd does have a similar implementation as the i7, so it's about the same per GT for each.
    No, GT/s is just the bandwidth between the entire processor and the peripherals, GT/s is actually just Ghz X 2 so a 2.4Ghz transfer rate is 4.8GT/s.
  6. Best answer selected by rajiv1990.
  7. Haserath said:
    GT/s is GigaTransfers per second, so it's only how many times a signal is sent per second.
    Amd does have a similar implementation as the i7, so it's about the same per GT for each.
    No, GT/s is just the bandwidth between the entire processor and the peripherals, GT/s is actually just Ghz X 2 so a 2.4Ghz transfer rate is 4.8GT/s.

So how does one transalate the speed of an interface at 2.5 GT/s into gbps ?
  8. 1 GT/s is one gigatransfer per second, thus for 64-bit data bus: 1 GT/s = 1Gb/s transfer speed. So 2,5 GT/s for 64bit bus is 160 Gb/s. But if your bus is 128 or 256 bit wide, rate will be higher.

Related link
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Processors