Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel Speedstep Windows Sever2003

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2004 6:33:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have just installed Windows Server2003 on my Aopen 1545 laptop. The
speedstep function does not seem to work. I cannot find drivers for WIN2003
at AOpen nor at Intels webpage. Does anyone have experience with this?

Regards

Martin Siegumfeldt
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2004 6:33:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Martin Siegumfeldt" <msie02@kom.aau.dk> wrote in message
news:cgco71$djv$1@home.itg.ti.com...
>I have just installed Windows Server2003 on my Aopen 1545 laptop. The
> speedstep function does not seem to work. I cannot find drivers for
> WIN2003
> at AOpen nor at Intels webpage. Does anyone have experience with this?
>
> Regards
>
> Martin Siegumfeldt
>
>

CPU speed control can be a BIOS function that is managed by a special
power control application that is separate from the Windows power
management. Look in the applications that were supplied with the
computer. Sony,on some laptops for example, has a Phoenix BIOS and a
supplied Sony Power Panel application (actually a Phoenix app) that sets
"quiet mode" and "performance" CPU cooling control. Quiet mode is the
CPU speed control at constant fan speed, while performance mode is fan
speed control at constant CPU speed.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2004 5:06:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <cgco71$djv$1@home.itg.ti.com>, msie02@kom.aau.dk says...
> I have just installed Windows Server2003 on my Aopen 1545 laptop. The
> speedstep function does not seem to work. I cannot find drivers for WIN2003
> at AOpen nor at Intels webpage. Does anyone have experience with this?
>
> Regards
>
> Martin Siegumfeldt
>
>
>
I'll be amazed if you find a way to enable SS using Win2003 server.
Server software is designed to NOT adjust CPU speeds and isn't intended
to run on laptops either.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2004 2:21:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
news:V7WdnVMPF_SwZbTcRVn-ig@comcast.com...
>
> "Martin Siegumfeldt" <msie02@kom.aau.dk> wrote in message
> news:cgco71$djv$1@home.itg.ti.com...
> >I have just installed Windows Server2003 on my Aopen 1545 laptop. The
> > speedstep function does not seem to work. I cannot find drivers for
> > WIN2003
> > at AOpen nor at Intels webpage. Does anyone have experience with this?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Martin Siegumfeldt
> >
> >
>
> CPU speed control can be a BIOS function that is managed by a special
> power control application that is separate from the Windows power
> management. Look in the applications that were supplied with the
> computer. Sony,on some laptops for example, has a Phoenix BIOS and a
> supplied Sony Power Panel application (actually a Phoenix app) that sets
> "quiet mode" and "performance" CPU cooling control. Quiet mode is the
> CPU speed control at constant fan speed, while performance mode is fan
> speed control at constant CPU speed.
>
> Q
>

My BIOS is also a Phoenix BIOS, and has the option for determining the
performance mode, which is chosen for recommended. But it seems as Win2003
"overrules" this setting. No applications seem to be avaiable for Win2003. I
guess that tlynch (the next post in this thread) has a pointe in that
Win2003 is optimized for full performance. . .

/Martin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 4:02:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

W2K Server is designed for servers
and is not officially supported on
laptops.

I'd be curious to learn what apps
are you running on your laptop
that would:

a) require W2K Server;

b) not be capable of running under
W2K Pro or XP Pro.



dk


"Martin Siegumfeldt" <msie02@kom.aau.dk> wrote in message
news:cgco71$djv$1@home.itg.ti.com...
> I have just installed Windows Server2003 on
> my Aopen 1545 laptop. The speedstep function
> does not seem to work. I cannot find drivers
> for WIN2003 at AOpen nor at Intels webpage.
> Does anyone have experience with this?
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 6:57:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Martin Siegumfeldt wrote:

> I have just installed Windows Server2003 on my Aopen 1545 laptop. The
> speedstep function does not seem to work. I cannot find drivers for
> WIN2003 at AOpen nor at Intels webpage. Does anyone have experience
> with this?

Yes. It's simple. W2k doesn't support SpeedStep. It's a server OS designed
to run 24hrs/day, power management isn't a main concern on servers...

If You want speedstep better go for WinXP instead. It's also the much better
OS for mobile computing...

Benjamin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 12:46:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:412cb81f@news.meer.net...
>
>
> W2K Server is designed for servers
> and is not officially supported on
> laptops.
>
> I'd be curious to learn what apps
> are you running on your laptop
> that would:
>
> a) require W2K Server;
>
> b) not be capable of running under
> W2K Pro or XP Pro.
>
>
>
> dk
>
>
> "Martin Siegumfeldt" <msie02@kom.aau.dk> wrote in message
> news:cgco71$djv$1@home.itg.ti.com...
> > I have just installed Windows Server2003 on
> > my Aopen 1545 laptop. The speedstep function
> > does not seem to work. I cannot find drivers
> > for WIN2003 at AOpen nor at Intels webpage.
> > Does anyone have experience with this?
> >
>

It has nothing to do with the software. I have got a free license for W2K
Server. I didn't think of these problems when I installed it, but I see what
you mean.

/Martin
!