Changing my Windows XP Proudct Key Prior to Activation

Good Evening:

I was recently required to reinstall XP on a computer that originally ran
Me. Unfortunately, we could not immediately locate our "fully legal and
legit" retail version license and elected to utilize another of our
computer's OEM installation disk to further troubleshoot this machine with
the intent of using the retail key. Little did we realize, however, the OEM
version automatically filled in the product key during the install process.
My question is, now that we have our machine up and running and have found
(after great searching) our purchased retail disk and key, can we change the
windows product key prior to activation or am I forced to again reinstall the
OS with the retail copy? In other words, is there an easy way to update the
product key with the "correct" one in windows? Thanks in advance and I
apologize if this in any way appears suspicious. We just didn't know...

You will need to perform a Repair Installation using the correct CD
and Product Key:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"B Youree" <B Youree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good Evening:
>
> I was recently required to reinstall XP on a computer that
> originally ran
> Me. Unfortunately, we could not immediately locate our "fully legal
> and
> legit" retail version license and elected to utilize another of our
> computer's OEM installation disk to further troubleshoot this
> machine with
> the intent of using the retail key. Little did we realize, however,
> the OEM
> version automatically filled in the product key during the install
> process.
> My question is, now that we have our machine up and running and have
> found
> (after great searching) our purchased retail disk and key, can we
> change the
> windows product key prior to activation or am I forced to again
> reinstall the
> OS with the retail copy? In other words, is there an easy way to
> update the
> product key with the "correct" one in windows? Thanks in advance
> and I
> apologize if this in any way appears suspicious. We just didn't
> know...

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
purchased. For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for
any retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and
vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full
version CD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to
install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not work with
an English CD. Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be
mixed & matched.

You need to use your _legitimate_ full retail copy of WinXP Pro to
perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, using its CD
and Product Key.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm