The system ;
P6X58D Premium
I7 980x @ 4.27
Modified Corsair H50 with MCR220 Rad
Rad fans from H20 220 kit @ 1800 RPM's
120mm intake
120mm Exhaust
http://i42.tinypic.com/10oh95l.jpg

25ºC Room temp ( thermometer on my desk )
28ºC Case temp ( thermal sensor in case )

AS5
http://i43.tinypic.com/2enwz83.png

IC Diamond
http://i40.tinypic.com/i5zos5.png

No real difference.

Application was the same as I do for AS5, a thin 15mm line down the middle of the chip.
I'll check it and try again later.

Update
As promised, I checked the application, it was kind of light :pfff:

Reapplied using the pea method, now I'm getting the 3º drop in max temp that I should
http://i40.tinypic.com/27wzrer.png

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
no real difference? i think i see the IC Diamond 24 Carat to be atleast 3C avg cooler than the AS5 and thats a good result for a change in thermal paste IMO :)

Artic Silver 5 on a Q8200 @ 3.2ghz 1.36 VCore
Idle Temps
CPU die Temp 27 Idle

Core 1- 44
Core 2- 39
Core 3- 38
Core 4- 39

Ambient 27 C Thermometer on my desk

Cooler OCZ Vendetta

Load Temps 10 Minutes In Place large FFT's
CPU die Temp 54

Core 1- 64
Core 2- 60
Core 3- 60
Core 4- 58

IC Diamond 24 on a Q8200 @ 3.2ghz 1.36 VCore
Idle Temps
CPU die Temp 27 Idle

Core 1- 40
Core 2- 38
Core 3- 36
Core 4- 39

Ambient 27 C Thermometer on my desk

Cooler OCZ Vendetta

Load Temps 10 Minutes In Place large FFT's
CPU die Temp 54

Core 1- 60
Core 2- 58
Core 3- 57
Core 4- 57

All temps taken with HWMonitior

So about a 3C decrease from AS5 so it does definitely work a little better but is it a huge difference no would I go out of my way to get it probably not but it is good compound none the less.

Yep, and if you average out the maximum temperatures you come up with 70.8 for each run, though the IDC was 1º lower than the AS5's max.
IDC 73 | 72 | 68 | 68 | 72 | 72
AS5 72 | 74 | 65 | 68 | 73 | 73

Like I said , I'll check the application and run it again, just not tonight, it's game time.

At first I did like you Delluser with the Line but it didn't spread right when I put the heatsink on so I did like they said on their website Put a nice pea size amount in center of CPU then let it sit for 5 minutes they say 10 but I was impatient then I put the heatsink back on like normal and it gave me better results.

The pea size drop thing has been giving me problems with this cpu, I end up with a blob on each side of center, that's why i started back with the line down the center. I'll get a pic of what the IDC looks like when I remove the block again.

There was nobody on the game server :(

randomizer

Champion
Just post clickable thumbnails guys so people on crappy connections can load the page ;)

The best way to get good performance with this TIM is a single blob and a hell of alot of pressure to squeeze it out. Unlike AS5 it doesn't spread easily due to a high viscosity. If you are having "problems" (whatever you mean by that) then perhaps your heatspreader and/or heatsink is concave/convex.

randomizer

Champion

Because spreading adds air pockets, and with this stuff it would probably be a bit of a pain to do anyway. Spreading is completely unnecessary. As long as you have enough pressure, when you squeeze the two surfaces together the stuff will spread out and fill the microsocopic gaps and eventually come out the side if there's enough of it (true for any TIM ).

IC Diamond

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
You guys are getting ahead of me

PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE TESTING/POSTING YOUR IC Diamond RESULTS!!!

PLEASE ONLY POST WITH RESULTS WHEN YOU HAVE FULL RESULTS, OTHERWISE YOUR POST MAY NOT BE SEEN BY ALL IF YOU RESERVE THE POST FOR LATER RESULTS WITH IC7. PEOPLE TEND TO GO TO THE NEWEST POST, SO IF YOU WANT IT TO BE SEEN BY ALL, POST YOUR RESULTS ONCE YOU HAVE THEM ALL. ALL OTHER DISCUSSION/SUPPORT POSTS, GO RIGHT AHEAD!!

PLEASE BE SURE TO BENCHMARK YOUR CPU TEMPS WITH YOUR CURRENT TIM AND RECORD YOUR RESULTS BEFORE USING IC7 FOR TESTING. WE NEED BEFORE AND AFTER PLEASE!

ALSO, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DON'T CHANGE ANY VARIABLE OTHER THAN THE THERMAL COMPOUND USED FOR BEFORE/AFTER (I.E. SAME VOLTS/CLOCKS, COOLER, AND OTHER HARDWARE)

APPLICATION METHOD

For all those participating in the IC7 giveaway, please follow this link to the Innovation Cooling website for more information on the product:

Innovation Cooling

Proper application is the key to this product. The nature and consistency of this product is likely quite different from what most of you are used to in a Thermal Compound. We don't recommend use of traditional methods of applying the TIM like razor blades, lines, x's (though some people have reported great success with the X method), etc. Through extensive testing, the best overall application method has been determined to be a pea sized amount directly in the center of the CPU. The TIM should be adequately spread via the downforce of the CPU cooler (a sufficient amount of downforce will provide best results; minimum 50psi of downforce should be the goal for optimum results. please see the Innovation Cooling website for more info). Also, for coolers/surfaces that have many peaks and valleys, it may be beneficial to wet the surface(s) with a small amount of IC7 to initially fill the voids in the mounting surfaces...then proceed with recommended application as usual. Please click on the link below for application methodology and shoot me a PM if you have any questions. FYI, read the review on this site for Gilgamesh's results and ideas for application.

Keep in mind, IC7 has been formulated with the specific goals of providing superb thermal conductivity with short set times, but also for long term stability and performance without pump/bakeout through extended thermal cycling or usage. This stuff is very stable over long periods of time.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Please do feel free to navigate through the whole Innovation Cooling website as there is tonnes of information on there that might prove beneficial.

HOW TO POST RESULTS

THE FORMAT IS AS FOLLOWS (ALL TEMPS IN C):

OPTIONAL INFO: PROCESSOR, VOLTS/CLOCKS, HEATSINK/COOLING USED, ETC.

Pre-IC7
Compound:
Abient Temp:
Idle Temp:
Load Temp:

IC7
Ambient Temp:
Idle Temp:
Load Temp:

If you have any problems or need support, please feel free to post here for now. Remember, proper application and good even heat sink pressure (goal should be minimum of 50psi or more) are crucial for peak performance. Too much or too little compound will impact your results so please do visit the Innovation Cooling website for Application Instructions with images and explanations. For those with direct touch heatpipe coolers, you might want to try wetting the contact surface of the cooler with a tiny amount of ICD to fill any small voids before proceeding with the normal application method.

. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post up. Sign ups are still open and should be posted in the sign up thread.

Thanks all and happy testing!!!

Hey Andrew,
First I'd like to say thank you.
Next,
Even with a light application your product was only 2c higher than the AS5 at idle and still managed 1c lower max.
With the proper application I got the 3c drop from max and even better avg. temps that concern some people.
As far as idle temps,they don't really concern me unless they're horrendous, I ran Prime twice after the reapplication, so the minimum shows higher than what it should.
I'll do it better on the next system, like I said this was quick and crude.

randomizer

Champion
Don't worry Andrew, I'll sticky a proper results thread when you have one set up. But I'll only do it in one section and link to it in the existing giveaway threads so as not to congest the top of the forum too much with stickies.

Got mine the other day and was also amazed at the tube size. The package was a bit open and my fiance could see the top of the tube and at first thought it was drugs or something.

I kinda laughed but when she opened it figured out it was something for my PC.

I will try to do it today or Tuesday since I am kinda busy but will have a go at it. I expect it will give me better results than my current Zalman thermal grase that came with my HSF and probably better than AS5 since most people are posting better than AS5 results.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Honestly, I noticed a 2-5c temperature decrease across all four cores of my i5 750 recently, I double checked by reapplying both, between AS5 and AC MX-2, so in light of the price difference I would say that ICD is just hyped. I was really surprised at how well the MX-2 performed, and it is very easy to spread with a much better consistency as opposed to AS5.

Edit: I would like to add that I have perfected applying TIM to my Xigmatek HDT-s1283, because I bought it when HDT designs were still brand new and no one knew how to apply TIM. I've applied and reapplied so much TIM to this damn heatsink it is ridiculous.

For anyone wanting to know, the best way is to get a razor and fill in the gaps between the heatpipes and the aluminum base until it is smooth. Now take a almost imperceptible amount out so there is a SLIGHT gap between the pipes and the base. Now apply a thin line of TIM about an inch to an inch and an eighth on each heat pipe. they should be no thinner than a 0.9mm piece of graphite for a mechanical pencil, but they shouldn't be much thicker either.

So I found some time today to actually test it out and I will say I am pretty impressed at it. I got about a 8c drop from idle across the cores and a 9c drp under load. I am not too suprised since I was using the standard Zalman thermal grese that came with the CPNS 9700 LED I have but still, its a nice drop. Now I used HWMonitor and the temps seems high so I also used Speedfan to make sure and there is about a 10c difference. It might be due to an issue with the Q6600 G0 that was around since 2007 when I built the machine. Some temp programs still have it listed as a 105TDP CPU so it is normally higher than the real temp.

I did take screenshots of idle and load. I used Prime95 Small FTTs since that one tends to really load the CPU to max.

My specs:

Asus P5K-E Deluxe Wifi -AP
Intel C2Q6600 G0 stepping @ 3GHz 1.25v
Zalman CPNS 9700 Cooler
4Gigs Corsair XMS2 PC8500
2x Seagate 500GB SATA 300 in Raid 0
ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Extreme Gamer(has the 64MB X-RAM)
BFG 800 Watt Quad Rail PSU
Apevia X-Navigator Case. It has a lot of blue lights
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500

My CPU is running at 3GHz under load, 2GHz idle and has a voltage of 1.232v idle and 1.224v under load (yes I was lucky enough to get a Q6600 G0 that would run lower than stock voltage OCed to 3GHz stable and I love it :love: ).

The TIM I was using was the generic Zalman TIM that came with my CPNS 9700 as seen here:

e6750_vs__q6600___zalman_tim.jpg

I had it on my CPU since 2007 when I built the machine so it has had 2.5 years time to cure so it was pretty set. My Q6600 is relativley flat luckily and the Zalman CPNS 9700 I got has literally a mirror finish thats pretty good for not being lapped.

This is my CPU with the Zalman TIM idle:

icdiamond3.jpg

CPU: Q6600 G0 @2GHz
VCORE: 1.232v
CPU Temp: 34c

Cores in HWMonitor:
Core 0: 47c
Core 1: 45c
Core 2: 39c
Core 3: 39c

Cores in SpeedFan:
Core 0: 37c
Core 1: 35c
Core 2: 29c
Core 3: 29c

Zalman TIM under load:

icdiamond4.jpg

CPU: Q6600 G0 @3GHz
VCORE: 1.224v
CPU Temp: 55c

Cores in HWMonitor:
Core 0: 69c
Core 1: 65c
Core 2: 58c
Core 3: 57c

Cores in SpeedFan:
Core 0: 60c
Core 1: 56c
Core 2: 49c
Core 3: 47c

Now for the results. I pulled off my HSF, cleaned off the Zalman TIM completley using 90% Isopropyl alcohol. Added a pea sized drop in the middle per the IC Diamond website instructions and put it back together while applying enough pressure. I also tightened my HSF using the screws, which is one thing I love about my HSF since it is mounted vias crews and not push pins.

IC Diamond TIM idle:

icdiamond5.jpg

CPU: Q6600 G0 @2GHz
VCORE: 1.232v
CPU Temp: 27c

Cores in HWMonitor:
Core 0: 39c
Core 1: 39c
Core 2: 34c
Core 3: 34c

Cores in SpeedFan:
Core 0: 29c
Core 1: 28c
Core 2: 24c
Core 3: 24c

IC DIamond TIM under load:

icdiamond6.png

CPU: Q6600 G0 @3GHz
VCORE: 1.224v
CPU Temp: 46c

Cores in HWMonitor:
Core 0: 60c
Core 1: 59c
Core 2: 56c
Core 3: 56c

Cores in SpeedFan:
Core 0: 50c
Core 1: 49c
Core 2: 46c
Core 3: 46c

Overall, the IC DIamond TIM seems to have lowered my CPU temps by a range of 3-9c depending on the cores. In my CPU, Cores 0 and 1 run hotter and also noticed the best results while Cores 2 and 3 run cooler and didn't drop as much. In terms of performance compared to my Zalman TIM, its awesome and I would probably buy this over most other brands since I do tend to overclock.

As said before by others, idle is not as big a concern as load temps. And the games I play all have multicore support enabled so this TIM will really help lower the temp while doing that. That said, I do live in Arizona, Tucson to be exact where its May and soon to be 100+ every day. I do keep my house at about 78F all the time though.

If you need any more data from me I will be more than happy to provide it and thanks for including me in your test.