Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Failing to install CCC and display driver? Help please!

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Control Panel
  • Catalyst
  • Graphics
  • Displays
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2010 3:31:10 AM

I have a single Sapphire 4890 Toxic and today I was trying to update from Catalyst 10.1 to 10.2. Previously, I would just uninstall from the control panel, reboot, and install the new drivers. However, I was curious about using Driversweeper and I followed the instructions by uninstalling 10.1 from the control panel, rebooting, using Driversweeper, rebooting, but as I went to install the 10.2 version, the Catalyst installer would only list out several files and excluded CCC and the display driver. I've tried to uninstall any ATI software/files and have tried installing Catalyst 9.7-10.1 over again and each time, the installer would not install CCC nor the display driver. I've also tried using System Restore to revert to a few days ago, but still no luck. I'm guessing my problem has something to do with Driversweeper, but when I try to restore my previous files/registries, Driversweeper wouldn't show up anything in the restore section. I've been looking at many threads and I can't seem to find a solution. Help please!

I currently use Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and I keep just about everything updated. This is with a Phenom II x4 955(C2) on a MSI 790FX-GD70 mobo.

More about : failing install ccc display driver

February 19, 2010 6:56:25 AM

Looks like I was able to restore some files and now I've got Windows Aero to work and I can play games now, though when using the Catalyst installer, I'm still missing the display driver, CCC, and other components such as Avivo and Drag and Drop transcoding. I have confirmed that those files have been extracted, but not installed.
m
l
February 19, 2010 2:30:02 PM

This is a problem with ATI's new software and Windows 7 (I've had the same problem).

You can try to manually install the files from the directory that is created when the files are decompressed or do what I did and just use the 10.1 hotfix and submit a ticket to ATI.

They should be releasing a working version soon.
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2010 3:36:36 PM

I STILL have to use the command line to install my drivers; can't ATI even get a working installer?
m
l
February 19, 2010 4:11:27 PM

gamerk316 said:
I STILL have to use the command line to install my drivers; can't ATI even get a working installer?

I haven't used ATI in a while (Untill recently...before using my current 5870 CF rig, I had an X1900 rig back in the day)
, so I'm not sure when they implemented the new install/software manager, but it seems that is the problem. Gamerk316's workaround is worth a shot.

I've heard a few people suggest using these workarounds:

Uninstall your C++ library and either update it to the latest version or let CCC install it's specific library

Install using the command line functions:

Locate the latest extracted files (C:\ATI\Support\[Version]\Bin [Or Bin64 if you are on x64 OS) and make a note of the folder.
Navigate to that folder in a command prompt window (in the run box, type cmd.exe)
Type the following (without quotes):"atisetup.exe -Install -Output screen"
OR
Navigate into the latest bin folder and create a shortcut to atisetup.exe
Then select the properties of that shortcut and add -Install -Outputscreen
onto the installer path:
Example -> "C:\ATI\Support\xxxx\Bin\atisetup.exe" -Install -Output screen

Hope this helps.
m
l
February 19, 2010 6:51:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try them out.

My problem is, before trying out driversweeper, I could uninstall and install any ATI driver versions I wanted, but now that I have used driversweeper, most of the files included in the installer do not show up so they aren't installed, despite using the 9.x drivers or any of the 10.x drivers. I think it does have something to do driversweeper deleting certain registry files/system files, but I can't find out what.
m
l
February 19, 2010 7:18:57 PM

Well let me know how it goes.

Also, did you run driver sweeper in safe mode?
m
l
February 19, 2010 7:22:37 PM

I tried the -Install -Outputscreen command, but there wasn't any difference.

I actually didn't do it during safe mode, so that might be why I'm having this problem. I'm considering just reinstalling my OS, if I continue to have this problem.
m
l

Best solution

February 19, 2010 7:27:26 PM

First try running it in safe mode.
Check the device manager and make sure it's removed from there after running driversweeper in safe mode.
February 19, 2010 7:59:04 PM

Tried it in safe mode and it did delete everything and it was removed from device manager. Tried to install 9.7/9.9/9.12/10.1/10.2 and each one did not show CCC nor the display drivers. I'll do an OS reinstall and that should fix things. Thanks for your help cscott_it, I'll be back tonight with the results.
m
l
February 21, 2010 11:41:02 PM

Oops I never updated this thread, OS reinstall worked and I'm finally able to install any driver versions I want.

For anyone reading, don't use Driversweeper unless you're having problems with conflicting drivers from ATI and Nvidia, since Driversweeper deletes a certain file or registry file that doesn't allow you to reinstall an ATI driver/CCC,
m
l
February 21, 2010 11:41:22 PM

Best answer selected by kokin.
m
l
!