Sign in with
Your question

Ssd or upgrade ram?

Last response: in Storage
March 16, 2012 1:45:37 PM

hi i just got a new pc and really dont know a whole lot, i was on a tight budget and ended up getting the best i could at the time, would like to try and get a little more out of my system. my specs are:

intel i5 2400 cpu
z68 pro3 gen3 mobo
gtx560 vga
corsair 600w power supply
hitachi 500gb hdd
4gb (2x2gb) g skill ram ddr3 1600

I have since realised i should probz have gone with a ssd and more ram. Not going to bother everyone with questions about why it is better exactly as i understand it is just better, faster etc. but what i do want to know is With the ssd is it as simple as installing windows 7 and selecting the ssd as the boot device in bios? will i still be able to access all the files , games etc saved to my hdd while using the ssd as the main boot device? Would installing more ram have a similar impact on performance? cheers guys.

More about : ssd upgrade ram

a c 322 G Storage
March 16, 2012 5:34:17 PM

Yes, very simple to install -- best to disconnect HDDs when you do the Win 7 install on the SSD to force the SRP onto the SSD. You can still play games and run programs off your HDD, although the best thing to do is to reinstall them to the re-formatted HDD after the OS is installed on the SSD.

Installing more RAM will have very little impact, an SSD will do a lot more for performance.
m
l
March 16, 2012 6:25:54 PM

LOL apparently i am a big promoter on the Intel Smart Response Tech (ISRT) you get with a z68 board. Do that too with your SSD and you wont suffer with the small capacity of the SSD.

another thing, Buy an 128GB SSD, Cache 64GB with the HDD, and use the other 64G as your primary program install source (games, photoshop, whatever floats your boat)
m
l
Related resources
a c 302 G Storage
March 19, 2012 3:02:10 PM

To disagree with Realbeast: Any games that are installed on your current HDD will have to be re-installed on the SSD, or re-installed to the HDD while booted from the SSD. Installation usually (except for some very nice programs) writes to the registry and even some files to the /windows/system32 directory tree. These will not be present in your newly-installed OS on the SSD.

========================

Now to make things complicated. The biggest bang for the buck will be buying an SSD and installing a new copy of the OS on it. Some people will clone over their existing OS to save time. I don't recommend this, but you may want to.

If you are installing to the SSD, read some of the many guides in the pinned articles at the top of this forum. Be *absolutely* *sure* that the SSD is the only drive on the system when you install the OS, and that the motherboard controllers are set to AHCI mode.

Because you would have to re-install everything, some people prefer to clone their existing OS to the SSD. To keep this from being abusive to the SSD, you have to change some low-level drivers during the clone process.
0) Prepare a bootable CD with the backup software of your choice. Use a package that can do cross-platform restores. EASEUS ToDo Backup is free, but there are many other good packages and I am not recommending it.
1) Boot to the bootable backup software and backup your OS to an external drive.
2) Remove all other drives from your system, change the motherboard chipset to AHCI mode.
3) Boot to the bootable backup software and restore, setting the option that tells it that you are restoring to dissimilar hardware.
4) If it won't boot off the SSD, boot from the Windows CD and do a Repair Install.

I have no expressed opinion on Rozz' answer. Personally, I am not doing that. My OS is on my SSD, as are my most frequently used My Documents folders, but that's because I like a quiet machine and I prefer to leave my HDDs spun down by not accessing them

How's that for a long answer to a simple question?
m
l
March 23, 2012 12:45:28 AM

Yeah, I made sure the ssd was the only drive connected, I installed win7 on the ssd and re connected the hard drive and use the ssd as main boot device, I used steam mover to move bf3 to ssd as that's the main game I want to see benefit from and it works well, only have about 10 gig free. For all my other games I have just found the application on my hdd and created a shortcut on the desktop for ssd. The game saves didn't transfer but with the exception of Alan wake I was able to find them in user>my documents and copies them onto the ssd fine. Are you saying that should have created problems?
m
l
a c 302 G Storage
March 23, 2012 7:51:40 PM

mick500 said:
Are you saying that should have created problems?

No, the game _saves_ should be fine. I meant that you would have to reinstall the games. And I was wrong, as I forgot about Steam Mover.
m
l
March 23, 2012 11:04:51 PM

cool. cheers for the help.
m
l
!