SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Internet, Movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None

Parts Already Selected :

Im new here[First post actually], Although ive been lurking quite a few hours in over the last week or two. I've decided to build a Gaming PC, Running around a 600-700$ budget. I've came up with the following which ill show in a few lines. I'd like to point out my Overclocking experience is 1 time and that card is trash now, I would also like to state, i already have my CD Drives/Hard Drive. I'm mostly wondering if i overlooked a compatibility issue on this PC or if there was something you would do diffrently and why, and without further adue.

Ill start it off with the motherboard.
Open Box: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

I chose this because off the start, I figured I would go with AMD3 Socket, and a board compatible with the CPU[Phenom II X4], I also considered it was a good price even at whole sale so when I found the OpenBox deal I figured this was a good choice.

Powersupply + Case = Combo!

HEC 63RABB Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - OEM + hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40°C ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Retail

I chose this because it was a last minute choice and I still needed a case to put it all in, and a power-supply to power it all, And for the price it seemed pretty good with a 650W powersupply and a seemingly-decent case.

CPU/Processor

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

I chose this because I wanted a 4 core processor with decent GHz that fit the AM3 socket without breaking the budget, It appears to be a good bang for the buck[also appears to fit the motherboard].

RAM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT - Retail

I chose these because i wanted DDR3 without breaking my bank, not much to say, It's ram.

GPU

XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

I chose this because I wanted crossfire later on aswell as it being good enough to power most/all of the game I play/Might want to play now and in the near-distant future espicially if I crossfire it.

After shipping etc build comes out to about 630$, That being said and done this is about build #12 for me virtual-wise[meaning I havent actually built 12 computers but rather ive designed 12 or so in the last week up until this one and this is the one im happy with], This will be my first build. Share your thoughts/Concerns, And finally after all this typing, is this board completely functional?

Please n Thx

DMUOG

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

I have one i can use until i have more budget to buy a better one, Do you think the stock cooler can cool it enough?

Most PSUs that come with a case are crappy. The little voltage switch on that HEC unit places it in that category. For an eventual Crossfire of a pair of HD5750 cards, 600W-650W would be enough, but you'll definitely want something better. Choose a modern design with full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, and Enermax are among the better brands.
The PSU is not the place to skimp. If you need to save money, get the 955BE instead of the 965BE. You can always decide to overclock it a little, and it should match the performance of the more expensive chip.
Be aware that an open box motherboard may be missing pieces, including its backplate and even its driver CD. It's worth a few dollars more to get the full Retail product with a better return policy.

DMUOG

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

1440x900

http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-Hewlett-Packard-Compaq-WF1907 if needed. What changes would you make? im new to this, thats why im having the 'pros' look at the build first :).

Thanks for your input, Ill look into it, Might you make a suggestion on which?

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Unfortunately the egg is letting me down this week lack of quality combos and the rise in prices kinda sucks atm.

But here is about as good as I can do for 700 w/o a hard drive.

HD5770

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) CL7 1600

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz

Antec 300 Illusion and Antec 650 earth watts

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard and Win 7

706 before rebates and 686 after MIR.

Now on a side note I think if you are a student or know a student you can still get Win 7 for 60 bucks.

Lastly the HDD when you get around to it. get either a Samsung F3 Spinpoint or a seagate 7200.12.

If you plan on upgrading your monitor to a 19XX res one then try to fit a 5850 into the budget but I could not at this point in time.

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Here you go.

GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4

AMD 955 black and HD5770

Use the same ram case and PSU from above and add what I listed above.

If you need a 5850 you could probably fit it in with out an OS. but it is way over kill for the monitor you are currently using.

Also if you plan to over clock get this Cooler best bang for the buck.

Hyper 212 plus $35

Total price with the cooler is $724 before MIR

W/O the cooler $689

Solution

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Yes you would since both builds are pretty much identical.

Really if the op plans on upgrading to a 19xx monitor I might be able to fit a 5850 in but prices have gone up since last week so it would be tougher to accomplish and the OP would definitely not be getting a 955 with it.

Gaming is more GPU oriented then CPU anyways so it would be smarter to drop down on the cpu and get a bigger card, but only if a monitor upgrade is in the near future.

DMUOG

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
If it can be fit in the budget sure, but my friend games with 2 9800s and the 5770 is supposed to be equiv to 3 of them and he has no trouble running any game on high. If you think it would be better to get a higher gpu and a better monitor, then low the cpu downa nd let me know what that build is so i can take a look

G

well your all set.... question tought
if i were to use this build on a 1080p tv which has 1920x1080
resolution would that be enough what os should i use.