Is a I-5 650 CPU running at 3.20gz good enough for most games?

X23

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
I just bought a new PC with an I-5 650 processer running at 3.20gz seeing as Ive played just about every game besides GTA IV on an 4 year old pentium D It seems processer is not the bottleneck for games most times and Im assuming for ordinary gaming this proccesser is more then good enough as it is much better then my old processer which preformed fine most times, is there any games either out or to be released this year that would bring the I-5 650 to its knees?

Well, not on your system, at your monitor resolution and at the settings for the games you play. What graphics card are you running?

Define: "ordinary gaming"
I have an Athlon IIx4 clocked at 3.25GHz. It performs wonderfully with my radeon 3870. Probably overkill for any game today except for those that can make good use of multiple cores.

If you noticed no performance difference, the processor was keeping up with the video card just fine. What video card do you have?

To put it simply, the only game I can think of is FSX. Apparently this game is so CPU intensive it will run better with a core i7 980x and radeon 4850 than it would with a core i3 and 3 5870s in crossfire.

Basically the GPU is more important in gaming. The CPU just has to be able to keep up. Most mid end CPUs can keep up with higher end cards but it does vary from game to game. I have heard that GTAIV is badly coded and runs better on multiple cores, but I have no experience with the game myself.

The core i5 is more than enough for your system. If anything would make a performance difference, it would be a graphics card update in most cases.
I say in most cases because you are still running a dual core processor. In some games now, and in a lot of games in the future, the faster dual would be brought to its knees before the slower quad. But for now and the near future, you're doing awesome.