Are the XFX ATI 5870 Defect?

cool2fool

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I was about to buy one 5870 from Frys electronic but they said we discontinued the XFX ATI 5870 because customer were complaining it has problem or something? They also said next week we will have different kind, so is this true at all?

Solution
Factory overclocked editions aren't worth the extra money, you can overclock them yourself in 3 seconds using the ATI Catalyst Control Center included when you download the drivers for your video card, and you can overclock at a much higher clock rate to get a much better performance. Although, with a HD 5870 you wouldn't need to do overclocking as its already a very powerful card :) Go with the Diamond, you wont regret it, and the benefit of buying at a local store (assuming that Fry's is a local store) is that you can return it within 30 days if it fails or is bad instead of RMAing it through the mail which will take forever, and get a new one the same day. Sometimes the local store might even RMA it for you if its past the warranty...

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
XFX has many models of the HD 5870 as they do with many of the other products. My XFX HD 5750 has different models aswell, so I beleive they are getting a new model shipped in. (A better version).

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
That problem may of been the screen flickering that was fixed in the hotfix for catalyst 10.1
And they update models all the time... ish... even if the ones i notice mainly only have different back panel layouts and sometimes different coolers

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I like to buy from the store more than buying over online because I can just drive down to the store and get a replacement if something goes wrong. No hassle with shipping and waiting. As for brand it dose not matter much, just what warranty you get. XFX is the best the rest are on par with each other, thankfully Ive never had to deal with customer service.

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

The next best manufacturer to my belief is the Sapphire. Actually, they make better GPUs than XFX but XFX has the upperhand with the better warranty and RMA quality support.

Sapphire is the best at my opinion and to what I have seen through reviews. It has minimal defects.

cool2fool

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Oh I see...Do you know why the XFX cost 409 and the Diamond HD is 429? Are diamond HD good deal or bad because its the only available at Frys. I'm picking up my new system tomorrow and thinking of getting the video card too instead of waiting week for the new XFX

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Factory overclocked editions aren't worth the extra money, you can overclock them yourself in 3 seconds using the ATI Catalyst Control Center included when you download the drivers for your video card, and you can overclock at a much higher clock rate to get a much better performance. Although, with a HD 5870 you wouldn't need to do overclocking as its already a very powerful card :) Go with the Diamond, you wont regret it, and the benefit of buying at a local store (assuming that Fry's is a local store) is that you can return it within 30 days if it fails or is bad instead of RMAing it through the mail which will take forever, and get a new one the same day. Sometimes the local store might even RMA it for you if its past the warranty date within the local store.

Solution