Sign in with
Your question

Choosing a case for my i7-930: HAF 922 vs Storm Sniper

Last response: in Components
May 9, 2010 3:28:39 AM

Which case would you chose and why? I want one that cools well and is quite. Also will last a few builds to come. Lastly does anyone know about HAF X?

May 9, 2010 4:28:57 AM

It's largely preference, both cool well enough, that the difference is negligible. My vote is for the Sniper.
m
l
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 9, 2010 10:14:39 AM

If I had to choose between the two cases, then I would choose the Storm Sniper simply because I think the exterior of the case has a cleaner look, especially the front bezel. Otherwise, the cases are very similar. Both cases have excellent ventilation, airflow, and cooling. In this situation it is a matter of personal preference.

The new Coolermaster HAF X was shown at CEBIT 2010. With a little luck it might be available next month. It is a variation of the very popular HAF 932. The new design has 9 expansion slots on the rear panel which allows for the installation of four extra long video cards for quad-SLI.
m
l
May 9, 2010 12:29:01 PM

I vote for the Sniper (black edition windowed version) if you have the money! It is one of the best cases in its class, its only drawback is having 7 slots instead of 8, which is a stupid design decision from CM!
Other options to consider: Lian Li PC-60FNWX or PC-7FNWX, the latter can be found for 150 USD, about the same price of the CM storm sniper, both have fewer fans than the sniper and 922 but are made of Aluminum, have Lian li quality and tool-less design, have front panel USB 3 and 8 expansion slots and sport a nice side window.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 9, 2010 12:44:50 PM

avatar_raq - It was not a stupid decision.

The atx standard for atx motherboards and cases is for 7 slots while the atx standard for micro-atx motherboards and cases is for 4 slots. It is an international standard.

It is not a problem for hardcore gamers and enthusiasts unless they want to install 4 double wide video cards for quad-SLI. There are very very few users who install four video cards in their systems. According to industry reports the typical gamer or enthusiast only installs one or two video cards which is not a problem. We almost never see any questions here about using 4 video cards. They are almost always about using one or two video cards.

BTW - I just read a report about the very first triple wide video card!!! Yup! That's right! A video card that eats up three slots on the rear panel. It used three slots because it had 12 displayport connectors for 12 LCD displays. I guess someone, somewhere, had a use for it.

m
l
May 9, 2010 1:15:43 PM

@ JohnnyLucky :
In their new mobos (those having USB3 and SATA 3, e.g P6X58D series), ASUS and GB put the 3rd PCI-e 16x slot at the lowest (7th) position, so if anyone wants to use 3 way SLI or CF, he/she must get a case with 8 slots. Even for 2 GFX cards you'll be stuck with using the 1st and 2nd 16x slots without leaving any space between the 2 cards if u have a 7 slots case.
I know it's an international standard my friend, but it's an old one that's showing its age and inconvenience for multi gfx cards gaming rigs, and since the sniper is designed as a gaming case, I thinks its stupid not put an 8th slot, especially when older cases (as the antec 902) have it!
m
l
May 9, 2010 2:51:40 PM

Are there any other cases out there that support USB 3.0 yet? And I cant seem to find that Lian Li you posted for sale anywhere...

I definitely am a fan of it being toolless and will be crossfiring at some point. Future proofing with USB 3.0 would be amazing.
m
l
May 9, 2010 4:12:33 PM

Both cases aren't widely available online yet, NCIX lists the PC-7FNWX for ~ 158 USD in its canadian site, but surprisingly it is lacking from the American site
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=52447&promoi...

A more available alternative is Lian Li PC-7FNWB or PC-7FNW: (the same as the FNWX model except for the USB3 and black interior features)
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10073/cst-990/Lian_Li...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I recommend you wait for the X model to be available since it is much cooler and has USB3!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2010 6:16:19 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
BTW - I just read a report about the very first triple wide video card!!! Yup! That's right! A video card that eats up three slots on the rear panel. It used three slots because it had 12 displayport connectors for 12 LCD displays. I guess someone, somewhere, had a use for it.

I noticed the Powercolor Eyefinity-12 too, however I'm sure that this:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&...

is at least a triple-slot card, if not a quad!
m
l
!