What is the effects of using DDR2 \

G

I am looking to buy some decent RAM for my Dell optiplex GX 280. I need at least 2GB of ram alltogether. I was curious what the three digit numbers after "DDR2" mean? the choices I've seen are 400, 533, and 667. will either one work faster with fewer latencies?

another concern is whether it will fit into my slot. are there different slot types; like there are for video cards?

the numbers after the DDR standard indicate the speed at which the ram runs 667 is obviously faster ram, with your pc being a dell though I'd check what ram is on the dell accepted list for it, before spending good money on good ram you cant use.
If your current ram is ddr2, (potential Dell issues notwithstanding) you can only use ddr2 to replace it, the slots on ddr,ddr2 and ddr3 are all in different places along the stick so you cant physically put ddr2 sticks into a ddr3 mobo for example
Moto

And you shouldn't post your email address on an open forum. When we want to communicate privately, we use the Private Message (little green envelop under your user name) feature of the forums.

You should use the "quick edit" feature to delete your email address. In the lower right corner below the message box, there are three icons. Click on the middle one (grey sheet of paper with a yellow bolt of lightning).

G

Wow, thanks for the tips guys. That nailed all my questions on the dot plus other useful advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Jstorem

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
i had a gx280 for years bro.

if this is the mini-tower model then it can take ddr2 800 which is the fastest it will allow, up to 4GB.
they are the 4 identical slots towards the middle of the board next to the cpu.
oh, look for CL5 if using ddr 667 or ddr2 800; label on RAM should read something like this:
DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHZ CL5 or DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHZ CL5 and possibly CL6.

video card and pci slots are down on the side (more or less), it runs x16 pci-e cards.

the max processor is only a P4HT(hyper-threading). this system will not allow a PD or C2D chip.

Wow, That's really useful info. Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll take all the knowledge i can get for upgrading my PC. I was looking at some DDR2 RAm at 667.
thanks for you help.

Jstorem

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Sweet, How could my luck get any better? haha.
So why CL5? what does the "CL" stand for? something with latencies perhaps?
Q2: how on earth do you find a list that tells you what's compatible for my Dell online? or what steps would I take?

Thanks for your insight, didn't expect to get this much help from any sight.

Jstorem

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Okay, So my current issue is:
Would I be able to buy a new mother board that would fit The new video card and RAm I bought. as well as my old stock Hard drive? I figure this proccessor in my Dell optiplex gx 280 won't hold up to the gaming I intend to use it for. But I don't want to waste the money I just spent on new parts.

Video card: Radeon HD 5670 PCI express x 16
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

This is for the small mini tower type.

can anyone point me in the right direction with a budget in mind?