Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How High Is Too High?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 24, 2012 6:40:01 AM

So I recently got bored and decided to increase my over clock lol. Right now I am running an AMD 965 black @ 4.2ghz with 1.45 core, stock cooler, and no thermal paste. I have been running this setup for maybe 3 months @ 4ghz. Anyway, I just granked it to 4.2 and raised volts through AMD Overdrive software, not that CCC *** the actual stand alone software, and low and behond I am running hot hot hot. Like 65C hot. I have done 10-hour gaming session on skyrim, max settings with 4k textures and I would be money I hit the high 70s maybe low 80s. Any thoughts on the viability of this as it is only rated for 62C. AMD chip beefy enough to handle this for a couple years?

More about : high high

a c 202 à CPUs
a c 125 À AMD
a c 129 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 9:56:19 AM

NOOOOOO... No thermal paste??? Stock cooler??? Say what??? 65C??? No no no no... Do not EVER go above rated temps... They are there for a reason. You are dropping the life from that chip day by day!

Get a better cooler and for crying out load give that CPU some thermal paste!

I am seriously thinking this HAS to be a troll post...
Score
December 24, 2012 10:07:03 AM

Novuake said:
NOOOOOO... No thermal paste??? Stock cooler??? Say what??? 65C??? No no no no... Do not EVER go above rated temps... They are there for a reason. You are dropping the life from that chip day by day!

Get a better cooler and for crying out load give that CPU some thermal paste!

I am seriously thinking this HAS to be a troll post...

Lmao it truly is not. Am I torturing it that badly? It can go a little over 62, come on :lol:  AMD is like Scotty giving estimates to Kirk on how long until warp-drive is back online. He says it'll take him 10 hours, but he knows he can do it in 6. Atleast 70C I think is safe. Am I completely wrong?
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 10:27:19 AM

62C is AMD's max rated temperature on that processor.... Every minute you run it hotter than that; it's just shrinking and tugging the silicon into a single piece of fake boob. You're KILLING that processor faster than you ever can imagine.

"Am I completely wrong?" YES... YES... YES...

They put the Thermal Max for a reason. May it be the worst of the bin melted at that temperature or it's the point of damaging effects to the die... Either way, if you go over max, think of it as dropping a day of life per every minute or so of being past that temperature.

Get a better HSF, some good thermal paste, and get that dang chip cooled asap.
Score
December 24, 2012 10:29:02 AM

That an amazing oc, is it prime95 stable? I'd take it back a bit. 4 or under. And I hoping by no thermal paste you mean it's the original paste not a dry contact. Or you treat it like an old car and run in into the ground knowing you'll replace it when it dies.
Score
December 24, 2012 10:32:30 AM

abbadon_34 said:
That an amazing oc, is it prime95 stable? I'd take it back a bit. 4 or under. And I hoping by no thermal paste you mean it's the original paste not a dry contact. Or you treat it like an old car and run in into the ground knowing you'll replace it when it dies.

Of course its prime95 stable... Kinda... The only issue is it will get too hot if I run prime for longer then like 1 minute lmao. But playing league/sc2/skyrim for couple hours max temps are 70 and I don't freeze frame or anything. Ya it's got 0 paste on it with stock cooler. When I am not gaming its 50C, and goes up from there depending on what game I launch. I think I need to buy some paste and a hyper. I could crank it to 4.5 too and not kill it slowly. Right now my processor is going through its teen-age years. Smok'n weeeed maaaen. I was basically just going to run it into the ground but it might be better to just spend the 40bucks and buy the cooler/paste. I'll get on it I guess :pfff:  /thread
Score
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 125 À AMD
a c 129 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 10:45:25 AM

Praxeology said:
Of course its prime95 stable... Kinda... The only issue is it will get too hot if I run prime for longer then like 1 minute lmao. But playing league/sc2/skyrim for couple hours max temps are 70 and I don't freeze frame or anything. Ya it's got 0 paste on it with stock cooler. When I am not gaming its 50C, and goes up from there depending on what game I launch. I think I need to buy some paste and a hyper. I could crank it to 4.5 too and not kill it slowly. Right now my processor is going through its teen-age years. Smok'n weeeed maaaen. I was basically just going to run it into the ground but it might be better to just spend the 40bucks and buy the cooler/paste. I'll get on it I guess :pfff:  /thread

Good. Chip-rape is a sin if you don't do it on a chip 10 years old and even then its just wrong to not cool it properly...
Score

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 12:00:44 PM

But officer, the chip didn't say no...

:p 
Moto
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 12:31:01 PM

Hehe, serious water, and thermal paste to boot :p 
Moto
Score
December 24, 2012 8:07:25 PM

Best answer selected by Praxeology.
Score
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 9:19:53 PM

Thank you for best answer man and keep pushing, just be clever as to how you do it and you won't kill the chip :) 
Moto
Score
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 125 À AMD
a c 129 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 9:30:27 PM

Trololoooooo...
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2012 5:38:48 PM