G

Hi,

I have built a following system:

ASUS P7P55D
CPU Intel i7-860 2.80Ghz
Kingston HyperX 4 GB (2x2) DDR 1600 CL8
nVidia GeForce GT 220

In BIOS, it only shows 2 GB as installed and also in POST. In Windows 7 x64 it shows 4 GB Installed, Total Physical 2 GB. In Task Manager it also shows only 2 GB.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Did you manually set your RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended settings of 1600MHz, 8-8-8-24, and 1.65v in the BIOS?

Another thing to try is to type "msconfig" in the search box. From there go into the "BOOT Advanced Options" menu and make sure the "Maximum Memory" box is UNCHECKED.

Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors? Are you sure you're using the correct RAM slots for dual-channel mode? You'll have to verify in your motherboard owners manual, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the blue RAM slots on your board.

G

Hi,

Thank you very much for your response.

I haven't done any changes in BIOS in regards to RAM, they are all set to auto from what I recall. I will try to set them to what you have mentioned there.

I have looked the msconfig prior to posting here (I've been Googling around for a few hours before I finally gave up), that all looks fine.

I haven't run memory tests yet - I will do so. I can confirm that I have looked at the manual and DIMMs are placed in correct sockets.

G

I have tried to manually set the values you have suggested and that did not result in any difference.

One odd thing I have forgotten to mention. When I power up the computer, for about 2-3 seconds there is no signal to the monitor, then it looks like the computer gets a power cycle, then goes BEEP and only afterwards monitor gets the signal.

This happens every single time you power it up - or simply reboot it. Any thoughts?

G

Specs are:

ASUS P7P55D (latest BIOS)
CPU Intel i7-860 2.80Ghz
Kingston HyperX 4 GB (2x2) DDR 1600 CL8
nVidia GeForce GT 220 1 GB
WD1500HLFS 150 GB
Chieftec Green Angel 500W

Well, your PSU is absolute crap. However, the problem you posted about shouldn't have anything to do with the PSU. shortstuff's changes should fix that.

The cycling could be caused by the PSU, but there wouldn't be a way to check without having another unit to test with...

G

Thanks for the comment on the PSU :) I guess right now I am more interested in getting all 4 GB of RAM.