Sign in with
Your question

Would the Pentium D 935 still Bottleneck the 9600GT?

Last response: in CPUs
May 9, 2010 4:47:49 AM

I have a Dell e510 and i got the 9600GT a couple months ago so i could play some new(er) games (Had the 7300LE so i figured anything was better :) ). But i ran into a CPU problem. I have the P4 3.2 GHz... Soooo,

1.) Would the 935 still bottleneck the 9600?? This would be to tide me over untill i build my next one... :) 

2.) And i think, i think the 935 is the highest i can go. Anyone know better?

My Current Specs:

e510
Win7 HP
P4 3.2 GHz
9600GT
3GB RAM
500Watt PSU

Oh Price watch says i can pick one up for 95$$...

Thanks Ahead! :hello: 
a c 105 à CPUs
May 9, 2010 5:29:49 AM

it would but who cares, it an improvement from your P4 and you said its only temporary
m
l
May 9, 2010 5:32:26 AM

I fell, that it would be ok for a 9600gt at high resolution, I'm not as familiar with the pentium D line, but the 9600gt isn't too powerful, so you should be fine but i'd look out for a more educated recommendation
m
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
May 9, 2010 5:45:20 AM

Probably bottleneck in some more cpu bound games, but you'll defineatly see a good improvement over your P4.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2010 4:31:35 PM

The only problem I see is do you know for certain your Dell will support dual core CPU's?
It was very common for Dell leave dual CPU support off the boards on their P4 systems. (Remember, after all it is a Dell, and Dell wants you buying new computers, not upgrading what you have)

Update, it appears that many are having success with P-D's, just be sure to update your BIOS to A07. It seems that earlier than A06, they did not include support for dual core CPUS, if what I found was accurate.
m
l
May 9, 2010 4:47:46 PM

If you have ddr2 then check into a cheap x4 630 mobo combo at microcenter if you live near one and sale is still active. combo was $107 out the door. Now that's an upgrade.
m
l
May 9, 2010 4:53:02 PM

If i need to get a new mobo, i have a weird form factor case :( ... Does BTX sound familiar??? maybe...
m
l
May 9, 2010 4:59:53 PM

That will be a problem I don't think they make BTX mobo's anymore. If you're lucky your case will have the extra screw holes for mATX boards. If not you can find cheap cases anywhere. They also have cheap combos for x4 cpus at newegg for around $140.
m
l
May 9, 2010 5:25:57 PM

This was just for my home computer, if its going to be something that i have to build one im already doing that :) . Im bulding a gaming rig, i just wanted this thing to get just a little faster :) .

Thanks ya'll!
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 1:57:38 AM

I have a similar problem...
I have a Athlon X2 5200+, 2GB RAM, MoBo Asus M2N68-AM SE2, and I want to buy a GTS250...
Will the CPU bottleneck the GPU?
And can anybody tell me exactly what a bottleneck is?
I'm kinda new in this stuff.
I mean, I'm gonna be able to use the video card, but I won't play the games at the maximum, is that correct? Thanks.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 1:59:04 AM

I intend to buy a better cpu in a near future, but I don't know when...
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 2:00:07 AM

By the way, the RAM is DDR2.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 5:42:54 PM

Yeah, start a new thread lazar.

Bottlenecking is when a component in your computer is too slow to keep up with another, so the faster component is forced to run slower, thus slowing the entire process.

Think of it like trying to poor a gallon of milk into a pepsi can. You have to poor very slow or it'll splash everywhere, but the gallon is capable of much faster pouring(speed).

OP:

It should be a good improvement and if it isn't too expensive i'd do it.

Will it bottleneck a P-D? Hard to say, but the 9600GT is a pretty low end card so i'd guess, no.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2010 1:48:43 AM

Quote:
I intend to buy a better cpu in a near future, but I don't know when...

We are not trying to be A-holes, but it is very impolite to hijack someone else's thread.
If you have a question, and you do have a legitimate question that deserves a good answer, please start your own thread.
m
l
May 11, 2010 3:44:09 AM

Raidur said:
Yeah, start a new thread lazar.

Bottlenecking is when a component in your computer is too slow to keep up with another, so the faster component is forced to run slower, thus slowing the entire process.

Think of it like trying to poor a gallon of milk into a pepsi can. You have to poor very slow or it'll splash everywhere, but the gallon is capable of much faster pouring(speed).

OP:

It should be a good improvement and if it isn't too expensive i'd do it.

Will it bottleneck a P-D? Hard to say, but the 9600GT is a pretty low end card so i'd guess, no.

Whats not too expensive??? :p 

And when i change CPU's will windows freak (How would i get the CPU to work after instalation)? Ive never upgraded with the same version of windows, i always reinstall windows but i just got windows 7, literaly maybe a week ago... :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2010 8:33:57 AM

I figured you had options already. The Pentium Ds are no long being produced, so you'll have to either find a new or used on off ebay/craigslist/ or another website.

TBH I'd just save up to rebuild a system instead of throwing more money into an old one. Unless you can find a used one cheap.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2010 7:19:22 PM

If you you can manage the upgrade, a simple CPU upgrade does not require a new install of windows. Upon the first boot, Windows will find it, and may ask you to reboot, but it will work fine.
m
l
!