WD Green in an external enclosure - Anything else to check?

vicvinegar

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
A while back I bought a 2TB WD Caviar Green right when the prices were starting to shoot up. A couple months later, I finally decided to throw it into an enclosure and use it for backing some things up. The only problem is it won't work.

I've tried the drive with two enclosures. A Rosewill and a Thermaltake Max 5. Both work fine with a Seagate 2TB I have. So the enclosures are good.

Niether enclosure works with the WD. The drive will spin up (it sounded kind of loud, like the platter was rubbing against something) and that is it. WinXP and Win7 both recognize that a USB storage device is connected, but nothing beyond that. Nothing comes up in disk management. My MacBook Pro doesn't see anything either.

Anything else to try before I go through the trouble of RMA'ing? I don't have a desktop, nor do I know anyone who still has one.

vicvinegar

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

I didn't mean to offend the desktop loyalists, but the PC gamers I know have no time to game anymore with young kids and commutes. Or they traded in their desktop rigs for a supercharged laptop for when they do get a chance to game.

I'm just trying to exhaust my troubleshooting as I don't know how strict WD is with RMAs. If only I tried this drive before I was outside of the retail return period.