Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Core i5-750 display 2 cores only.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 9, 2010 6:02:09 AM

Hello, I've been noticing my newly installed Core i5-750 by using Task Manager, CPU-Z and Core Temp, all of em shows only 2 cores!

Let me show you the screenshot. I've even tried the solutions mention which involves the Boot -> Advanced Option. But sadly from the screenshot, it only detects 2.

More about : core 750 display cores

a b à CPUs
May 9, 2010 6:17:09 AM

Well, check the pins on your motherboard - some may be bent.
m
0
l
May 9, 2010 6:22:37 AM

The pins looks fine before I installed it yesterday.

Hmm, I've just checked my BIOS. And it shows 4 cores.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2010 7:21:54 AM

That's strange...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2010 7:46:24 AM

Reinstall windows and you're good to go.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2010 6:55:11 PM

Under Boot - Advanced Options where it says "2 Cores", uncheck that box. There's a bug with that screen that once you check the box and select the Number of Processors it will never give you an option to select more processors. So once you select 2, you cannot select 3 or 4. Just uncheck the box.

Once the "Number of processors" checkbox is unchecked, reboot, the computer will then run with the default number of processors - 4 for you.
m
0
l
May 9, 2010 8:52:04 PM

Please provide all ur pc specifications, this Will help us to find a solution for u problem.
m
0
l
May 10, 2010 2:43:52 AM

ekoostik said:
Under Boot - Advanced Options where it says "2 Cores", uncheck that box. There's a bug with that screen that once you check the box and select the Number of Processors it will never give you an option to select more processors. So once you select 2, you cannot select 3 or 4. Just uncheck the box.

Once the "Number of processors" checkbox is unchecked, reboot, the computer will then run with the default number of processors - 4 for you.


I've tried that, apparently it's not working either. Tested for 3 times yet yield no results.
m
0
l
May 10, 2010 2:45:29 AM

aim001 said:
Please provide all ur pc specifications, this Will help us to find a solution for u problem.


Core i5-750
Gigabyte P55-USB3L
DDR3 Kingston 2GB x 2
Gigabyte ATI 5770
320GB WD
ion2+ 600w
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 2:47:09 AM

Have you tried manually resetting the BIOS, loading failsafe/defaults, and/or updating the BIOS?
m
0
l
May 10, 2010 2:56:07 AM

EXT64 said:
Have you tried manually resetting the BIOS, loading failsafe/defaults, and/or updating the BIOS?


I've tried 3 different BIOS. The F3 which is the stock comes with motherboard, F2 which was the previous version and even F4e, beta BIOS.

All F2,F3,F4e does not work even with resetting BIOS, loading both failsafe/defaults.

I'm still not giving up yet though. Still trying out the windows 7 settings itself.

The motherboard however was able to detect all four core in BIOS, only windows couldn't read all four of them though.
m
0
l
May 10, 2010 2:58:20 AM

nvm, my suggestion was already suggested :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 3:37:19 AM

keatsan said:
I've tried that, apparently it's not working either. Tested for 3 times yet yield no results.

I'm confused how you could try it 3 times. Just uncheck it and leave it unchecked. Then do any other testing/changes with that box unchecked.

In BIOS, under MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> Advanced CPU Core Features -> find the setting for "CPU Cores Enabled". What does it say? If it is not set to All, change it so it is set to All.
m
0
l
May 10, 2010 9:36:17 AM

Im not very known to gigabyte bios, so im not sute this is 100% as ur computer, but its simulour to this tutorail: go in the advanced clock calibration and set ur cores to all or auto . Could be diffrent on the gigabyte bios, but follow this guy and u may succeed
m
0
l
May 10, 2010 9:46:01 AM

ekoostik said:
I'm confused how you could try it 3 times. Just uncheck it and leave it unchecked. Then do any other testing/changes with that box unchecked.

In BIOS, under MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> Advanced CPU Core Features -> find the setting for "CPU Cores Enabled". What does it say? If it is not set to All, change it so it is set to All.


The Bios is set to ALL. The BIOS can detect all four core, but only windows7 didn't manage to show it all four. High probability would be windows7 that got to do with boot.ini?

Is there any possibility to edit the boot.ini manually and punch in some data to edit the core booting?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 11:12:46 AM

Please take and upload a new screenshot of your System Configuration and BOOT Advanced Options windows. Also include CPU-Z's CPU tab and CPU-Z's Motherboard tab. Also include Windows Task Manager's Performance tab.
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 2:38:34 AM

the cores are seen but the hyperthreading isn't. Perhaps your system doesn't have hyperthreading enabled. search online as to how to enable it on your system.
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 2:40:20 AM

I found this online:

to enable hyperthreading WITHOUT reinstalling windows 7:


1 enable hyperthreading in B.I.O.S.
2 load up windows and CREATE A RESTORE POINT!
3 open task manager and click the PERFORMANCE tab, just to make sure it ISN'T working, if it is.... GREAT, but i doubt if it was that easy, that you would be reading this lol
4 click start, then RIGHT-CLICK the COMPUTER then click on MANAGE
5 click DEVICE MANAGER, then double click PROCESSOR
6 right click ANY of the listed processors
7 click UNINSTALL
8 it will say "warning you are about to uninstall this device from your system" click ok
9 click reboot now
10 repeat step 3... you should see all threads
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 2:45:37 AM

i5 750's do NOT have Hyper Threading.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 6:45:16 AM

Quote:
Reinstall windows and you're good to go.


Why does nobody ever listen to me? Why? Is my advice too complicated for people?

If its too difficult for you to reinstall windows then give up on computers. There is no 'shortcut' to this situation. Reinstall windows and stop spamming the forum with questions that have been answered.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 3:29:11 PM

I did the fix located above ant it worked for me. I'm posting to let anyone else know that your DON'T have to reinstall windows. Here's my setup and what I did.

Old Processor: Intel Pentium p6000 Dual Core w/no HT
New Processor: Core i5 480M Dual Core with HT

I went into the device manager and uninstalled my processors then rebooted. It then restarted with 4 logical processors when there were only 2 before.

I can confirm this works on my Acer 7741z-5731 laptop with Wintos 7 Home Premium.

With this cpu upgrade i've bought myself about 2 years more on this laptop for under 100 bux. Now it's quad core 2.99 ghz versus dual core 1.8 ghz. I'm happy now and THANKS! :-)
m
0
l
!