I5 3570k on air cooling

Hey there guys I recently bought an I5 3570k for my new rig and I am very pleased with it at stock speeds but I have come to the point where I feel like I want to overclock it because that is the reason I bought the unlocked chip it would of been pointless buying the unlocked one if I wasn't going to overclock it, I am a bit of a novice at overclocking so take it easy on me but I was looking to get around 4.2 - 4.5ghz with an air cooler and I need you to suggest some good and affordable coolers that I could get around these speeds with safe temps. My motherboard is a MSI Z77MA-G45 so if anyone can also help me with what settings to change in the BIOS with this motherboard that would be greatly appreciated and also my case is a cooler master HAF 912+ ans apparently that has 175mm cpu cooler clearance although if you know better that it doesn't I'll take your word for it, my PSU is a corsair CX750 and also my RAM is 2x8gb corsair vengeance so I need enough clearance for two sticks of them. Thank you for any help you can provide and have a good christmans ;D
12 answers Last reply
More about 3570k cooling
  1. OK congrats on your new build.

Suggested coolers :

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, with this you will definitely have enough RAM clearance and will fit in your case. This is also the cheapest cooler i can suggest. You will get 4.2GHz easily but 4.5GHz is uncertain. Depends very much on your chip.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Noctua NH-D14, a larger and better cooler. Will definitely allow you to hit 4.5GHz if your chip is decent. The clearance on your RAM SHOULD be fine. I am not sure about your board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608024

Then my personal favourate. Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme, it is by far the best cooler between these 3 and arguably the best air cooler you can buy. It will outperform even an H100(except for max fan speed on H100, but this is VERY loud).
    The biggest prob you may have with this is clearance. I have tried this cooler and it worked with my high profile Vengeance so it SHOULD with your too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ARE2YE/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d2_g147_ir03?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0GJ9HRKVS6ZM8ESSE6W7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Now gimme a minute and I will give you a few pointers and a guide...
  2. http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide/

OK there is a guide, its not really for beginners, so it boils down to...

1. Disable all power saving adn turbo boost features and pick a load calibration, 1 being very stiff and one voltage constantly, 2 being a little more relax(easier to achieve stability), i prefer level 2.
    2. Set voltage to fixed at first and drop it to 0.9v.
    3. Boot into windows and run prime 95 or similar stresstest to test for stability for atleast half an hour. This will give you an idea of how sensitive your specific CPU is to voltage change.
    4. Increase your voltage to 1.2v and multiplyer to 4.2GHz. Test thoroughly for an hour. Keep a close eye on temps with real temp or HWmonitor.
  3. After that you can increase Multiplier one at a time testing for half an hour between each bump. When stability is lost, add 0.05v and try again.

Repeat process until you reach your desired OC or unacceptable temps(drop one clock and/or Voltage) and viola you have your OC...
  4. Thank you very much for the detailed responses and I will try this when I decide which cooler to buy and have a great christmas mate :D
  5. Its a pleasure. Same to you, and tell me what you decide on and what OC you achieve...
  6. I'll make sure to tell you and I will probably be doing the OC in January
  7. conftw said:
    I'll make sure to tell you and I will probably be doing the OC in January

Since you started this thread as a discussion instead of a question, it should still be open...

:non: :lol:
  8. Think I'm going to go with the hyper 212 evo and I will see how my chip reacts to 4.2ghz and if I get good temps I might try bumping it up to 4.5 gradually but if I can't manage more than 4.2 it doesn't bother me too much because it is still a 0.8ghz increase. Will get back to you if I change my mind on the cooler
  9. conftw said:
    Think I'm going to go with the hyper 212 evo and I will see how my chip reacts to 4.2ghz and if I get good temps I might try bumping it up to 4.5 gradually but if I can't manage more than 4.2 it doesn't bother me too much because it is still a 0.8ghz increase. Will get back to you if I change my mind on the cooler

OK cool. in the meantime you can do step 1 to 3 just to see what your chip can do. Keep dropping V's at stock and test with Prime. This could give you a good idea of how your CPU reacts to V changes. As it doesn't generate heat this is safe to do with a stock cooler.
  10. I might try that soon thanks
  11. Hey I don't know if you are going to read this but I bought a coolermaster hyper 212 evo and OC'd to 4.2Ghz at about 1.15V and ran Prime for a while and the hottest core was core#2 and it got to 61C so I could probably go higher at the risk of having a little higher temps but 4.2 is enough for me and thanks for the help.
  12. All good. Pleasure. 61C is very cool for Ivy. You have much more to go if you want someday.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Overclocking Cooling Intel i5 Product