Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Six monitors running with three 9600gt's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 19, 2010 8:51:46 AM

is it possible to have six monitors running with three 9600gt's all at x16, without any SLI bridge whatsoever on Asus 780 sli motherboard , with Win XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit? all six monitors will have different apps in each, that is six different applications.

any answers will be really appreciate :) 
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2010 9:36:36 AM

I think it's possible on Win7, but I don't know for sure.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2010 10:40:02 AM

Some probably won't be at 16x, but assuming the mobo has 3 slots then yes. This will also not be an SLI setup. I would think you'd be better off with a couple of 5750/70s yes? It would be one less card, so less power and heat.
Score
0
Related resources
February 19, 2010 1:05:31 PM

4745454b said:
Some probably won't be at 16x, but assuming the mobo has 3 slots then yes. This will also not be an SLI setup. I would think you'd be better off with a couple of 5750/70s yes? It would be one less card, so less power and heat.



well what do you mean by 5750/70 :pt1cable: 


and yes the MoBo has three slots at x16


Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2010 1:10:04 PM

Meaning you could buy two 5750s (or two 5770s) and run all six cards. This way you buy less cards, and will consume less power and emit less heat. If you want, you could try the 5670 as well.
Score
0
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2010 9:34:11 PM

Ya that middle black pcie slot might be running at x4 or x8 depending on the motherboard model. What is the model number of the mobo? So we can look up the specs and see what they will run at.

I doubt that you need a full x16, x8 will be good enough to run anything. What sorts of apps do you have in mind?
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2010 10:05:10 PM

Two will run in sli (top and bottom) while the third (middle) may or may not run in sli so I am not 100% but 3 way might not be out of the question but that may be beside the point and intention of the user.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardware-devices/11339-ma...

But this may be of use.

Score
0

Best solution

a b C Monitor
February 19, 2010 10:11:47 PM

The OP dose not need SLI support to run his 3 cards independently, he just needs the pcie slot to just insert the card into to gain more monitor outputs.
Share
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 1:26:44 AM

I do this:

with a lowly pair of 3850s, and can speak highly of Realtime Soft's UltraMon:
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
I can't find it offhand, but there used to be a 'gallery' of some of the looniest set-ups you've ever seen (I think the bragging title goes to someone with thirteen monitors on one system, somehow!), and people there in the forum can likely answer any question you can dream up...

I assume SLI is like ATI's Xfire - you don't want it (actually, can't use it...) for multi-monitor setups; I can either use Xfire, and two monitors, or 'kill' Xfire, and run all four - no way to Xfire the four; in fact, I learned to leave out the 'bridge' connector because, at least when installing new OSs, the drivers 'assume' you want to Xfire, and it's the devil's own task to get it adjusted then for four monitors!

I've got a couple generic questions about this stuff, myself:

I haven't used an nVidia card for a really long time (like, decades...), and am wondering how you all feel about drivers and support? Are they pretty prompt? Does the stuff usually work (I well realize some bugs are inescapable, but I'm asking for more of a general trend...

I'm recently very interested, as I stumbled onto the Tesla, and am fascinated! I've thought for some time that we have come to sort of a 'historic' divide in the computer world. Moore's law or no - I don't think we'll be seeing more than a couple more generations of 'die-shrink' for more than a couple reasons. First is process; we're getting to the point where x-ray lasers are going to be the only way... Unless someone comes up with a new 'basic physics' approach, highK seems to run out of steam, no matter what, in the 4-5GHz range (room temperature super-conductor design laying around in your closet? e-mail me...)... And, two or three more 'shrinks', and we start to run into Heisenberg quantum limits... SO, anyhow, I think what's bound to be the future is parallel computing - it's already becoming apparent in the CPUs themselves - i7/Xeon 'hexacores' are due March 16th, with octacores soon to follow. The problem is, the programming...

I think this will likely be a sort of 'generational' thing; putting parallels to (useful, efficient) work takes a new paradigm in thinking - and I believe that people who learn parallelism to begin with will have a mighty advantage - it's just, well, alien to us old dinosaurs who learned FORTRAN first, and 'think' sequentially! Anyway, now that nVidia is offering (semi)massively parallel computing, more or less 'for the masses', I thought to see whether I can conceivably teach this 'old dog' a new trick or two - but, I'd have to give up an old grudge, and shift over to nVidia's vidcards to get seven support, as my more or less habitual dev environment of choice is VisualStudio - hate to only be able to use a thousand dollar card in Linux... I have to say that what I've read so far about the Fermi architecture (and yields, and power consumption) has not been too enthusing, but I've got time to 'gel' this - they may pull the rabbit out of their @$$ (hat?), yet! I'm much more interested in how they treat users with day-to-day problems...

I'm kind of tentatively thinking a Tyan 7025 (will fit in my Cosmos box, & has a pair of 5520s, for 72 lanes of PCIe, not counting what's on the ICH); a couple WC'd single-slot 285's (was surprised to learn that the 295 is really just a twin 260 :(  ) as a 'fall back' position, in case the Fermi thing doesn't pan out (or actually does take 280W/card - as my cooling loop is built into my house

I'm not too thrilled with 'adding another loop'...); Areca 4G drive controller w/a handful of SLC SSD's - but, the whole thing 'hinges' on nVidia's driver stability (and support)!!
Score
0
February 20, 2010 9:01:25 AM

Best answer selected by accentindia.
Score
0
February 20, 2010 9:09:48 AM

paperfox said:
The OP dose not need SLI support to run his 3 cards independently, he just needs the pcie slot to just insert the card into to gain more monitor outputs.


exactly, thats what i aim to do, add a third zotac 9600gt to get two more dvi output monitors, apart from the existing two 9600gt's and four monitors.

the mother board in question is Asus P5N72-T Premium [NVIDIA nForce® 780i SLI™ ]

and it has

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 ,support NVIDIA® SLI™ technology, at full x16, x16 speed(blue)

and

1 x PCIe x16 , at x16 speed(middle)




motherboard link

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=PxJjkWzDte3Eo3LW
Score
0
February 20, 2010 9:17:04 AM

2081492,9,354670 said:
I do this:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3870/workstation006smio0.jpg
with a lowly pair of 3850s, and can speak highly of Realtime Soft's UltraMon:
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
I can't find it offhand, but there used to be a 'gallery' of some of the looniest set-ups you've ever seen (I think the bragging title goes to someone with thirteen monitors on one system, somehow!), and people there in the forum can likely answer any question you can dream up...

I assume SLI is like ATI's Xfire - you don't want it (actually, can't use it...) for multi-monitor setups; I can either use Xfire, and two monitors, or 'kill' Xfire, and run all four - no way to Xfire the four; in fact, I learned to leave out the 'bridge' connector because, at least when installing new OSs, the drivers 'assume' you want to Xfire, and it's the devil's own task to get it adjusted then for four monitors!

I've got a couple generic questions about this stuff, myself:

I haven't used an nVidia card for a really long time (like, decades...), and am wondering how you all feel about drivers and support? Are they pretty prompt? Does the stuff usually work (I well realize some bugs are inescapable, but I'm asking for more of a general trend...




nice setup

does'nt puttting a monitor on top of another monitor sort of can give a serious neck pain for all that staring one has to do like star gazing for all those top monitors,


just wondering :ouch: 
Score
0
February 20, 2010 9:52:30 AM

4745454b said:
Meaning you could buy two 5750s (or two 5770s) and run all six cards. This way you buy less cards, and will consume less power and emit less heat. If you want, you could try the 5670 as well.


well can you first tell me what on earth is a 5750 :cry: 
Score
0
February 20, 2010 10:03:59 AM

why this post has a solved tag

i am still looking for an answer :fou: 
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 10:15:04 AM

accentindia said:
Best answer selected by accentindia.

n
n
accentindia said:
why this post has a solved tag
n
ni am still looking for an answer :fou: 

n
nBecause you chose the best answer.
Score
0
February 20, 2010 10:20:27 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Because you chose the best answer.



well that wasn't the best answer,

it was actually the best additional comment,

it just added more clarity to what i was asking,

and i think no one has still told me clearly what will happen if i choose the config as stated in my original post. :( 
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 10:26:31 AM

Why are you selecting the best answer if you don't understand what people are trying to tell you?

I would link you a 5750 or a 5770, but I'm on my slow laptop. As I have ALREADY stated, its a video card that will allow you to run not two monitors, but three. This means you need only two video cards. This is cheaper then buying/running three. You could even do this with two 5670s, which are more powerful per card then the 9600GT. I've tried telling you this earlier, but it seems you didn't listen.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 10:28:18 AM

Yes, what you wrote in your first post is possible. Its just not the best way to do it.
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 10:28:22 AM

The button says 'Select as best answer' not best comment, so why did you click on it then?
Score
0
February 20, 2010 10:29:47 AM

well coz i never knew that selecting a best answer would sort of close this thread, :o 
Score
0
February 20, 2010 10:32:00 AM

4745454b said:
Why are you selecting the best answer if you don't understand what people are trying to tell you?

I would link you a 5750 or a 5770, but I'm on my slow laptop. As I have ALREADY stated, its a video card that will allow you to run not two monitors, but three. This means you need only two video cards. This is cheaper then buying/running three. You could even do this with two 5670s, which are more powerful per card then the 9600GT. I've tried telling you this earlier, but it seems you didn't listen.



well in that case please be kind enough to add a product image link or a product url

so that i can see it for my self whats compatible with what i have in mind :) 

Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 10:34:40 AM

accentindia said:
well coz i never knew that selecting a best answer would sort of close this thread, :o 

Did you not bother to have a browse around the forum before posting your question then?
Score
0
February 20, 2010 10:38:18 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Did you not bother to have a browse around the forum before posting your question then?



well with all due respect to you

i think you are treating me like a small kid, the way you are talking,

very seriously i don't think on a professional level i do not deserve a comment like that,

moreover there isn't any good new post for six monitor 9600 gt support.
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 10:51:24 AM

Well as you keep starting new threads asking the same question and then give best answer to someone and then ask why that flagged the thread as solved, what am I supposed to think?
Score
0
February 20, 2010 10:55:23 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Well as you keep starting new threads asking the same question and then give best answer to someone and then ask why that flagged the thread as solved, what am I supposed to think?


oh you really annoy me

do you have the right to talk in this fashion

let me talk to your corporate office regarding this
Score
0
February 20, 2010 10:55:32 AM

4745454b said:
Why are you selecting the best answer if you don't understand what people are trying to tell you?

I would link you a 5750 or a 5770, but I'm on my slow laptop. As I have ALREADY stated, its a video card that will allow you to run not two monitors, but three. This means you need only two video cards. This is cheaper then buying/running three. You could even do this with two 5670s, which are more powerful per card then the 9600GT. I've tried telling you this earlier, but it seems you didn't listen.



well you are just repeating 5750, 5750 , 5750, without even caring to add a product pic or the manufacturer's url

if you are really that wise you should stop posting just some vague numbers, :non: 
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 11:02:58 AM

accentindia said:
well you are just repeating 5750, 5750 , 5750, without even caring to add a product pic or the manufacturer's url

if you are really that wise you should stop posting just some vague numbers, :non: 

You have posted the same question three times and can't be bothered to google 5750 and then you have the gall to complain. :pfff: 
Score
0
February 20, 2010 11:49:46 AM

Mousemonkey said:
You have posted the same question three times and can't be bothered to google 5750 and then you have the gall to complain. :pfff: 


well then google everything, why bother to visit tom's hardware
Score
0
February 20, 2010 11:54:34 AM

Mousemonkey said:
You have posted the same question three times and can't be bothered to google 5750 and then you have the gall to complain. :pfff: 


moreover that idio** does not even knows that 5750 is not supported on the motherboard i have mentioned,

giving advise was'nt easier, i think

pretty evident from his profile pic, where his head is !!!
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 12:02:28 PM

accentindia said:
moreover that idio** does not even knows that 5750 is not supported on the motherboard i have mentioned,

giving advise was'nt easier, i think

pretty evident from his profile pic, where his head is !!!

OK, I'll bite. Why is the HD5750 not supported by that board?
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 1:16:22 PM

This should be good, thank god I'm sitting down and have a good seat.

To the OP, if you know what a 9600GT is, why should I think you don't know what a 5750 is? Its a video card obviously. Go to www.newegg.com and look at one there. You could also do a yahoo search for "5750 review". I would link one, but I'm on my slow laptop right now. And besides, I prefer you help yourself.
Score
0
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 1:36:30 PM

Jeez Louise!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Be aware - for three screens, you need two monitors that take DVI, and a third that takes DisplayPort...

As for neck strain - nahh - it actually works out that the physical operation of glancing up and down is good for the situation... That system is down for now (month-long PSU 'cross-ship' :fou:  ) I'm relegated to using a single-screen single-OS system, and I'm getting a kink in my neck from never looking up from the slightly (for me...) low monitor position for hours...
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 3:01:59 PM

Thanks bilbat.

Now all we need to know is why the 5750 won't work with that motherboard. Still waiting on my cushioned seat...
Score
0
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 3:12:30 PM

Shoot me in the head... Damned if I know - anything with a x16 physical, that is either x16 or x8 electrical, should accomodate it, I should think? Peculiar BIOS deficiency??
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 3:24:08 PM

I don't think it's the motherboard that has a deficiency.
Score
0
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 3:44:18 PM

:pt1cable:  :lol:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :pt1cable: 
Score
0
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2010 6:19:01 PM

I leave to go to sleep and this thread goes to hell and back...

dildat is correct about the 5000 series being ATI's latest generation of graphics cards and that the 3rd output has to be DisplayPort. You will either need to buy a $100 active DP to HDMI/DVI adapter or a cheaper active DP to VGA one ($25).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This DP to VGA adapter works.

If you only have one 9600gt and are looking to buy two more, getting two 5670s + 2 DP to VGA adapters instead will give you your 6 monitor outputs. Three 9600gt's might require you to get a bigger PSU so whichever method is cheaper would be best, I guess.
Score
0
February 21, 2010 7:57:07 AM

Mousemonkey said:
OK, I'll bite. Why is the HD5750 not supported by that board?



well that makes me wonder for how long have you been in this field, particularly motherboard configuration i.e. NVIDIA and ATI.

coz they are two different worlds,

i shouldn't be telling you what difference there is between NVIDIA and ATI given your position,

SLI motherboard and Crossfire motherboards have two completely different chipsets for how the cards are raided together.


dont YOU have the tenacity to find out more about the motherboard from the url link i have posted before becoming more inquisitive.


ATI cards do not run on NVIDIA SLI chipset motherboards, :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

your are mixing oil with water, :non: 

the motherboard in question is NVIDIA nForce® 780i SLI™











Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2010 8:32:03 AM

As has already been said, if you are just running multiple monitors then SLi or crossfire is not needed and that board will run up to three cards from either manufacture at the same time and if you were to run three cards in SLi you would need to be looking at the 8800GTS/9800GTX and above as the 9600GT is only 2 way SLi.
Score
0
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2010 8:36:39 AM

You can run as many ATI cards on an Nvidia chipset motherboard as you want, as long as they are independent from each other and not in Crossfire/SLI. The opposite is true for Nvidia cards on ATI chipsets.
Score
0
February 21, 2010 8:44:19 AM

Mousemonkey said:
As has already been said, if you are just running multiple monitors then SLi or crossfire is not needed and that board will run up to three cards from either manufacture at the same time and if you were to run three cards in SLi you would need to be looking at the 8800GTS/9800GTX and above as the 9600GT is only 2 way SLi.


show me a url link to any knowledgebase any where in the world which confirms that you can run two ATI 5750 on an NVIDIA 780 SLI shipset mother board with six independent monitors in non crossfire mode.

Score
0
February 21, 2010 8:46:46 AM

paperfox said:
You can run as many ATI cards on an Nvidia chipset motherboard as you want, as long as they are independent from each other and not in Crossfire/SLI. The opposite is true for Nvidia cards on ATI chipsets.



ok how about two 9600gt's and one 5750 on one single mother board ?

Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2010 8:51:48 AM

accentindia said:

show me a url link to any knowledgebase any where in the world which confirms that you can run two ATI 5750 on an NVIDIA 780 SLI shipset mother board with six independent monitors in non crossfire mode.


Sure, as soon as you prove to me that it can't be done.

accentindia said:
ok how about two 9600gt's and one 5750 on one single mother board ?


Only if you run XP or W7 as Vista won't let you use two different drivers.
Score
0
February 21, 2010 8:58:26 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Sure, as soon as you prove to me that it can't be done.



Only if you run XP or W7 as Vista won't let you use two different drivers.




so you mean to say with Win XP-64 bit i can run two 9600gt's and one 5750 on one single Asus nvidia 780 motherboard

with seven independent displays in all :ouch: 

is that correct !!!

show me who has ever tried that
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2010 9:22:17 AM

accentindia said:
so you mean to say with Win XP-64 bit i can run two 9600gt's and one 5750 on one single Asus nvidia 780 motherboard

with seven independent displays in all :ouch: 

is that correct !!!

show me who has ever tried that

Do your own research mate, as you don't wish to believe anything I or others have said. I haven't been in this field for very long, remember?
Score
0
February 21, 2010 10:12:02 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Do your own research mate, as you don't wish to believe anything I or others have said. I haven't been in this field for very long, remember?



well there you are again with the same pat reply " your own research"


anyways two 5750's and three 9600gt's ....price wise are same,

more over my samsung monitors have only dvi and vga inputs

it will be an added headache to get a display-port to dvi converter.

Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2010 10:17:39 AM

accentindia said:
SLI motherboard and Crossfire motherboards have two completely different chipsets for how the cards are raided together.


Ok, explain what that means.

accentindia said:
ATI cards do not run on NVIDIA SLI chipset motherboards, :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

your are mixing oil with water, :non: 


Now you show me proof of that and I'll take you a bit more seriously.
Score
0
February 21, 2010 11:13:08 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Ok, explain what that means.



Now you show me proof of that and I'll take you a bit more seriously.




the problem with you is that you like to pick fights

as far as this comm is concerned

just for the sake of your ego you are overriding the purpose of this forum

you are not aware that i am a customer to you and your website.

and you surely are too ill mannered when it comes to dialog with a customer/visitors to your website.

who hired you to talk like that to people who drive up visits to your website

are you even aware about Best of Media group policies

given your demeanor you don't seem to be.
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2010 11:26:38 AM

You are the one who has the incorrect beliefs that cannot be validated and as I do not receive any monies from BoM you are not my 'customer' but if you were then I would ask you to leave my store.
Score
0
!