Which CPU should I go for?

sush

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hi,
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on which i5 processor should I buy. Actually, I am planning to buy a new system but I can't make up my mind for the processor.

I am kinda confuse whether I should go for Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor 8M Cache, 2.66 GHz OR should I go for Intel® Core™ i5-660 Processor 4M Cache, 3.33 GHz.

Both of them Cost the same But if I go with i5-660 it has integrated GPU and 3.33GHz plus Hyper Threading and on the other hand if i go with i5-750 it's a QUAD CORE but 2.6GHz so I loose some GHz on CPU. Integrated GPU and Hyper Threading.

Both CPU's have " Embedded Options Available " what does that mean?

Also which MotherBoard should I buy if i go with i5-750 coz it doesn't have on board GPU. To be really frank right now fund are little tight and I would prefer a MotherBoard which has ON board graphic card and an option of PCI Express Card so that later on I could switch to a better graphic card.

I would really appreciate If you guys give your suggestions

Thanks

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Are you looking exclusively at an Intel solution or would you consider an AMD build? If you're on a budget then this may be a good idea. You can pick up a Phenom II X4 955 for $159.99 on Newegg which is $40 cheaper than the i5-750. Several AMD chipsets offer very good integrated graphics solutions such as the 785G, 880G and even the 890GX chipsets. They will perform very well in day-to-day tasks and even HD video playback. I'm currently using an AMD board with a 785G chipset and Radeon HD4200 integrated graphics and can attest to its price/performance. I don't game or do anything else that requires a high-end graphics card so its perfect for me. But I have heard that it is capable of playing some older games. As you mentioned, you always have the option of upgrading to a dedicated GPU at a later date as your budget permits.

If you were on a tighter budget then this may be an option worth considering and would be the route I would go down. You'll get an onboard graphics solution and a solid system without having to sacrifice CPU performance. It's worth considering at least.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Forgot to mention in my above post that you will probably be able to save some money by looking for a mobo/CPU combo on Newegg. Or if you're starting from scratch then maybe even a mobo/CPU/RAM combo.

If you can post your budget and what you intend to use your system for (I'm assuming you're not gaming if you're after an integrated graphics solution). People will then be able to offer you more specific advice that will suit your needs whilst saving you some money.

sush

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Thanks for reply guys. Well I would prefer an Intel Solution and I would be using this computer for animation, time to time video editing ( not professionally) and later on medium performance gaming (when I will switch to a better graphic card ).
I already checked some of ASUS mobo's but i can't make up my mind for the CPU's. and my budget would be around $800-$900 (right now)

sush

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Well I would prefer an Intel Solution and I would be using this computer for animation, time to time video editing ( not professionally) and later on medium performance gaming (when I will switch to a better graphic card ).
I already checked some of ASUS mobo's but i can't make up my mind for the CPU's. and my budget would be around $800-$900 (right now)

sush

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
True But, it's out of my budget and I won't be doing that hardcore stuff at my home and If I had that much money I probably Opt for XEON. They are the Best Stable CPU's ever. But, again I am not looking to build a hardcore machine... Just a regular-medium home machine on which i could do some of my stuff and a bit of medium performance gaming.

pctouch

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Personaly, I'ld go for the Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor 8M Cache, 2.66 GHz; doubling the cache add more value than the other one at 3.33Ghz.
And about the GPU, I think that a middle range graphic card will also be of more value.
I would be interested in hearing others about it.

TRENDING THREADS