New work/play build

Looking for a little guidance here… I’m building a new rig and I’m not quite sure I’m picking the right hardware for my needs.

This computer would be used primarily for web design and photo editing (CS4) and maybe a little gaming (not a high priority). I am working with a budget, about $2200. Here’s what I was thinking…:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX

MB: Asus P6X58D Premium

CPU: I7-920

Video: Radeon HD 5870

RAM: Corsair XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB)[url=]

HDD: 4x WD Black 640GB (raid 10)[url=]

Burner: Lite-on sata DVD w/ lightscribe
3 answers Last reply
More about work play build
  1. Case: Switch to the HAF 922. It's almost as big and a lot cheaper.

RAM: G.Skill Pi Series 6x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $360. Much faster at the same price.

HDD: Switch those for Samsung Spinpoint F3s. The 1 TB version is $90. These are faster, quieter, cooler and cheaper/GB.

PSU: You don't need that much power. Get a 750W version if you want to be able to Crossfire later, or a 650W one if you don't.
  2. Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll definitely go with the G.Skill ram.

After reading about the CM 922 I am left with concerns with Cooler Master cases overall, more specifically the static discharge issue. Are there any other quality cases in the same ballpark that would comfortably hold two 5870’s?
  3. There isn't many quite as big as the HAF in the same price range. And the HAF is literally the best case out there.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product