Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A 5770 Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2010 2:48:14 PM

Well, at present I have a Nvidia 9400 GT and I am about to upgrade to an ATI Radeon HD 5770 within ten days. My problem is that I have a 450 W PSU which does not have any PCI-Express power connector. Will the card work well without the connection? Or will I have to buy a new SMPS with PCI Express cable?

I have also read about the molex to PCI Express Converter, but I can't seem to find it in my city.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

More about : 5770 question

February 19, 2010 3:03:19 PM

the card won't work without plugging in the power connector.

anyway most companies bundle their card with some accessories, like an vga-dvi adapter, or that 2molex-1pci-e adapter. you should check different models of the 5770 and the accessories they come with.
m
l
February 19, 2010 3:10:36 PM

Is the molex to PCI-e converter generally available with the GPU.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 3:13:24 PM

vktewari said:
Is the molex to PCI-e converter generally available with the GPU.

YEs most do include one - FOr example here is a pic of the cheapest HIS 5770 on newegg - Notice the 2 molex to 6 pin PCI-e connector included in the package along with the DVI-VGA adapter and the Xfire connector.

m
l
February 19, 2010 3:17:49 PM

Well, I have ordered mine and I can only hope to have one with my GPU, or I will have to search allover for the converter. Anyway, thanks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 3:32:11 PM

Which one did you order ?? IF it is one of the ones stocked by Newegg just check there and you should be able to see if it is included in their pics. If one is not included Newegg carries them for $2.99 +$5.99 shipping - though you can probably find one cheaper locally without the shipping charges !! - Linkie
m
l
February 19, 2010 3:40:38 PM

I did not order that online. I ordered it from a local dealer. He told me that there is no need for a PCI -E connector for that card. Idiot Dealers! However, I live in India and newegg does not work for me.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 3:46:36 PM

vktewari said:
I did not order that online. I ordered it from a local dealer. He told me that there is no need for a PCI -E connector for that card. Idiot Dealers!

Yes but what brand and model did you order ? - all of the packages will include the same parts no matter what dealer you order from so if you know what you ordered and it is one of the ones Newegg caarries you can still use their pics to see if one is included in the package ( unless you ordered an OEM part that does not have any package !)
m
l
February 19, 2010 3:49:58 PM

Well, I plainly ordered an Ati Radeon HD 5770. I don't even know what model it is. I am also an idiot. :o  :o  :o 
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 4:03:27 PM

vktewari said:
Well, I plainly ordered an Ati Radeon HD 5770. I don't even know what model it is. I am also an idiot. :o  :o  :o 

Well - figure since the dealer told you there is not a need for one if one is not included when it gets there make him add one or refund your purchase price since you made your purchase decision on his information (chances are though that one will be included !)
February 19, 2010 4:08:13 PM

Best answer selected by vktewari.
m
l
February 19, 2010 4:10:04 PM

Quote:
(chances are though that one will be included !)

Thanks for the optimistic answer!
m
l
!