Sign in with
Your question

Is this OC stable?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 24, 2012 9:14:16 PM

After hours of overclocking 7970, I settled with 1175 core clock and 1550 memory clock. Voltage maxed out with MSI Afterburner at 1.300V.

Crysis max GPU temp at 68, 3DMark 11 max temp at 64, Heaven max temp at 64, I was happy with the results and was going to call it a day until I fired up the Furmark 15 mins burn-in benchmark.

GPU temp went up quickly, and peaked at 84. About half way through the benchmark, I noticed that the GPU load started to drop from 99% to 63-64% and it stayed at 63-64% for the remaining of the test. I assume this is the throttling that everyone's talking about.

After the test I checked GPU-Z, the max temp was 84, VRM1 max temp was 94 and VRM2 max temp was 110.

Any idea why it throttled during Furmark? I though 84 temp is ok... Is it because the VRM temp was too high?

Anyway, would you call it a stable OC even though it throttled in Furmark?

More about : stable

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 10:34:33 PM

Stable? Seems like it.

Safe? Probably not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2012 5:53:11 AM

AMD and nVidia have set their drivers to automatically throttle the GPU when it detects Furmark running on the hardware. Furmark is a poor test to run on a GPU as it puts an extremely heavy load on the GPU. No gaming you could ever do would come close to the load that furmark can push. This has caused quite a few stock graphics cards to become unstable and even fail. Furmark is NOT a good stress test. It's just too hard on the hardware.

If you want to stress test your GPU, Unigine Heaven is the way to go.
m
l
Related resources
a c 160 U Graphics card
a c 129 K Overclocking
December 25, 2012 3:21:54 PM

steddora said:
AMD and nVidia have set their drivers to automatically throttle the GPU when it detects Furmark running on the hardware. Furmark is a poor test to run on a GPU as it puts an extremely heavy load on the GPU. No gaming you could ever do would come close to the load that furmark can push. This has caused quite a few stock graphics cards to become unstable and even fail. Furmark is NOT a good stress test. It's just too hard on the hardware.

If you want to stress test your GPU, Unigine Heaven is the way to go.

Interesting, didn't know that. How about MSI Kombustor? It seems very similar to Furmark.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2012 8:00:35 PM

I haven't heard anything about MSI's Kombustor. I do remember reading plenty of articles about nVidia and AMD throttling on furmark simply because of the unrealistic loads it puts onto graphics cards. Personally I still have it installed on my system simply to see what high temps my GPU will reach. Even with the clocks being throttled back from 910 stock 1000 overclock clear to 700, it manages to heat up my GPU's as hot if not hotter than BF3 does normally.

If you're wanting to stress the card though, honestly running Unigine on max settings can really stress even GTX680 Sli platforms pretty good.
m
l
December 27, 2012 1:54:11 PM

dexter98 said:
After hours of overclocking 7970, I settled with 1175 core clock and 1550 memory clock. Voltage maxed out with MSI Afterburner at 1.300V.

Crysis max GPU temp at 68, 3DMark 11 max temp at 64, Heaven max temp at 64, I was happy with the results and was going to call it a day until I fired up the Furmark 15 mins burn-in benchmark.

GPU temp went up quickly, and peaked at 84. About half way through the benchmark, I noticed that the GPU load started to drop from 99% to 63-64% and it stayed at 63-64% for the remaining of the test. I assume this is the throttling that everyone's talking about.

After the test I checked GPU-Z, the max temp was 84, VRM1 max temp was 94 and VRM2 max temp was 110.

Any idea why it throttled during Furmark? I though 84 temp is ok... Is it because the VRM temp was too high?

Anyway, would you call it a stable OC even though it throttled in Furmark?

Whoa, you really might want to lower that voltage, i run my 7870@1.275v at my highest overclock and that makes me nervous, 1.3v is probably going to degrade your gpu quickly.
m
l
!