Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard POST takes FOREVER

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2010 4:33:31 PM

GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

My RAM timings and voltage are at the recommended settings: 8-8-8-24 1.65V
No errors with Memtest

I push the power button and POST takes 15 seconds. My RAID takes another 10 seconds. The Windows 7 logo shows for 20 seconds. The Windows logging on blue screen takes the rest of the time. My total boot time is 1 minute 50 seconds.

AMD Phenom II 965 3.4ghz quad core
8GB OCZ RAM 1600mhz AMD Black edition
XFX Radeon 5870 1GBDDR5
GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache hard drives in RAID 0
2x Samsung super drives with lightscribe
Corsair 850W PSU
Antec 1200 full tower black steel case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Startup programs: Kaspersky Internet Security Suite, Catalyst Control Center, and Malwarebytes. Thats it. I have everything else turned off via CCleaner.

I have disabled the fullscreen logo POST and went with just the text POST via BIOS and it takes the same amount of time.

Computer runs silky smooth and faster than anything I have ever seen once it is booted. Stays cool and plays Fallen Earth on my 42in tv in full 1080p resolution with all details MAXED.

Boot time tics me off because when I go to show friends they ask what is taking forever and I just say the RAM is initializing.
Kind of sad when I can turn on my PS3 and it only takes 10 seconds to fully boot up and play awesome games.

I have went though msconfig and chose to boot with all cores and maximum memory and that didn't make any difference in boot time at all.

This is my second build in three months with totally different parts but about same power and speed wise and boot time is almost exactly the same. What the heck?

My two year old Dell M1730 XPS laptop with dual 8800M GTX's, 4GB RAM and 2 samsung hard drives boots under one minute. Am I doing something wrong? This laptop has the same version of Windows and five startup programs. This is way slower than the powerful builds I have done in the last months.
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 4:50:52 PM

as you state it posts in 15 seconds... sounds normal... for quicker boot times you will need a ssd.
!