Lord Tumnas

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
hey guys
this probably isnt the right category for this question but whatever

my motherboard only has one chassis fan header and it also has a spare three pin cpu fan connector, i am currently using these two fans only to cool my system, as thats all ive got, if i were to buy a fan controller, such as this one
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_511&products_id=20290
would it run off the mobo fan headers or would i be able to connect the full five fans to it?
thank you, Lord Tumnas

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Solution
Fan controllers basically do this.. You give them a power supply (usually from a 4-pin molex connector). They have separate output for one, two, three, or more fans. The controller then allows you to adjust the voltage that goes to the fan on the selected line. This controls the speed of the fan, hence the name fan controller.

This doesn't mean you use the 3-pin or 4-pin fan headers off of the motherboard to use them. I don't think I've ever seen a fan controller of any type use such connections.

The only problem with using only fan controllers is that you can't (with most controllers) have the fan automatically increase in speed when a certain temperature hits a certain point. This means you have to be controlling the fans...

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Fan controllers basically do this.. You give them a power supply (usually from a 4-pin molex connector). They have separate output for one, two, three, or more fans. The controller then allows you to adjust the voltage that goes to the fan on the selected line. This controls the speed of the fan, hence the name fan controller.

This doesn't mean you use the 3-pin or 4-pin fan headers off of the motherboard to use them. I don't think I've ever seen a fan controller of any type use such connections.

The only problem with using only fan controllers is that you can't (with most controllers) have the fan automatically increase in speed when a certain temperature hits a certain point. This means you have to be controlling the fans during high loads or idle.

Solution

Lord Tumnas

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

thank you, the one i linked has an auto mode, thats partly the reason i was considrring it