Sign in with
Your question

Computer Problems Please Help

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2010 5:19:39 PM

I am new to the forums but have been working with computers my whole life. I am hoping that someone can help me with a problem that I have had with my computer recently. I am worried as that I have spent quite a bit of money on it and it is broken after only about 6 months, which is most likely my fault. I am going to try and describe everything that I think I might know about the problem, because I have almost no idea what the problem is. I bought a dell 540s studio slim recently and also bought a video card, being the idiot that I am, that was not a slim version. The video card is rated for a 300 watt power supply and as far as I know, mine is a 250 watt. After reading online, I assumed that it was ok to run the video card on my power supply, because after searching high and low, I could not find a small-atx power supply that was anything more than 250 watt. Also, I assumed that the worst that could happen is either the video card or power supply would break. It ran beautifully for about a week and one night I moved my computer so I took out the video card, and put everything back together. The next morning I came home, put the card back in and turned it on, and the problem that I am having now began then. When I turned it on, the power light was solid yellow, which I looked up and it means that the power supply is operrating properly, but the data communication is not. Any monitor hooked up to the computer goes directly to stand-by. After trying to run normally, the computer turns itself off, and then when the cpu fan completely stops, it turns itself back on, and slowly ramps the cpu fan up to full speed and then just sits there. I am assuming that this is just the computer attempting to fix itself, but I have no clue on this one. I am thinking that the problem is either in the motherboard or cpu. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly aprreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick Hannigan

Information on components that I installed and thought may be useful.

Dell 540s/
power supply-model: PC7068
Motherboard-model:IPIEL-RN2
CPU-intel q8300 (2.5 ghz quad-core)
Hard Drive-seagate barracuda 7200.12 (500gb)
CD drive-hitachi-model:GH50N
Memory-corsair:XMS2-6400/CM2X2048-6400C5 (2gb/4=8gb total)

More about : computer problems

a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 5:27:22 PM

Patrick, I think you already know whats up.... remove that video card and get a new power supply.
m
l
March 5, 2010 10:55:54 PM

I tried running it without the video card, still the same problem. As I said, unless the diagnostics are incorrect, the power supply is supposedly operation properly.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 3:06:35 PM

Patrick, the powersupply is most likely your problem... the video card draws too much power for a 250 watt psu and it is has been dammaged... can you swap one with a friend to check?
m
l
March 6, 2010 4:53:40 PM

No, I do not know anyone with a micro-atx power supply. I do have a multi-meter that I can try to test it with.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 8:39:17 PM

I have used a full sized power supply in place of a micro for testing in the past. If you dont have one handy I would be ordering a new micro power supply (from a place that has a good return policy)
m
l
March 6, 2010 8:53:22 PM

OK, thanks again for all the advice.
m
l
!