HomeBuild VS Dell VS Price under 1200

Talen45

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Withing a month, I can wait until the right season to purchase too, but would prefer to get it soon vs later.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video Editing, Sound Editing, Gaming, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Tiger Direct, Amazon, NewEgg or any other suggested sites. Google Shopping via google checkout.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Quality... thats all I need

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Whatever there is, I seen a lot of good deals so any suggestions I will take.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I just want something that will last a while. I have not built a PC in years, so some things might be new. I would like a graphics card that will last a while or dual ones. Basically any suggestions I am all for.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
If you do a lot more editing than gaming, you might consider the i7-860 instead of the i5-750, but it's about $80 more. That's the only change I would make to MadAdmiral's build, and only if you do a lot more editing than anything else and don't mind stretching your budget just a little bit.

Talen45

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks, I am hoping that consumer prices come down a little, or start looking for cheap parts. I assume that I might have to drop 1200, how long do you feel that will last? I plan on doing some podcasts that is in the woodworks of being produced right now and want to know if there are any specific sound cards you would suggests too thanks for your input guys.

This build should should last as a gaming build for 3-4 years without upgrade. It will be top level for the other tasks for longer than that.

As far as a sound card goes, I have no idea. I typically don't recommend buying them, as onboard is already extremely good.