Sign in with
Your question

Velociraptor slowing me down!

Last response: in Storage
March 17, 2012 4:13:22 PM

I'm pretty new to all this computer building stuff, having changed out a couple HDDs and optical drives in the past. I decided to scratch build a system for gaming. Ok, for Diablo III... I finally got my copy of Win 7 on Wednesday, got everything put in, drivers installed, and other than some odd double booting issues, the system is running great and showing max temps of around 50 degrees when I play Fallout Vegas. I ran that Windows performance tester deal, and got a 5.9 on the HDD, 7.5 on everything else. I find this odd, because the Caviar Black in my old HP gets the highest score in the system, and it's 7200 RPM and Sata II. The Raptor I have is 10K RPM and Sata III, so I figured it would haul ass. It also, according to HM, idles at around 40 degrees with a 200mm fan pumping directly across it. Maybe I'm making a mistake, or have a setting wrong, but is this normal? The drive is new from WD, was a warranty replacement, and it doesn't make funny noises or smoke or get stuck. Everything seems fast to me, but that 5.9 is bugging me. Now that I'm double checking, the Caviar in my HP also scores a 5.9. I paid a pretty penny for that Raptor with HDD prices being what they are, seems like crap to me.

System specs:
New Old
i5 2500K Conroe CoreDuo 1.8
8GB Corsair 2GB Ebay RAM
450GB Raptor 500GB Caviar Black
ASUS P8Z68 ? Whatever HP sticks in the case
Win 7 64 Bit Win Vista 32 Bit
50 degrees 49 degrees

Let me know if any other info would be helpful

More about : velociraptor slowing

March 17, 2012 4:19:21 PM

Thats normal the highest ive seen a regular spinning hard drive in raid 0 was 6.1 on 10k rpm although if you had 15k cheetas it might go up to 6.2-6.3. To achieve anything higher than that you need an SSD.

Mine for example i had 2 7200rpm drives in raid 0 before i upgraded to my 120gb SSD. That got a 5.9 WEI and now i get a 7.9 WEI with the SSD. Granted most SSD's(Unless you have a sata III one) can't get 7.9 yet but i have a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe that without raid 0 i get that speed.
m
l
a c 265 G Storage
March 17, 2012 4:20:26 PM

It is based on the storage space on the windows partition as well! WEI is not everything and you should not let that bother you
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2012 4:25:03 PM

mightymaxio said:
Thats normal the highest ive seen a regular spinning hard drive in raid 0 was 6.1 on 10k rpm although if you had 15k cheetas it might go up to 6.2-6.3. To achieve anything higher than that you need an SSD.

Mine for example i had 2 7200rpm drives in raid 0 before i upgraded to my 120gb SSD. That got a 5.9 WEI and now i get a 7.9 WEI with the SSD. Granted most SSD's(Unless you have a sata III one) can't get 7.9 yet but i have a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe that without raid 0 i get that speed.

Mighty Maxio is absolutey right!
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:29:03 PM

a single velociraptor gets me 5.9 but 2 in RAID0 gets me up to 6.7
dont worry about WEI, it's pretty unaccurate, just use it for your entertainment
m
l
March 18, 2012 1:02:28 AM

Wow, sorry for that crappy pile of system specs, I had those in columns but I guess the forum program condensed them into a pile of nonsense. So if WEI gives me a 5.9 for both the Caviar Black and the VR, does that mean they move data at the same speed and the VR was a waste of money, or should I ignore the numbers between Vista and 7? The system is way faster than my old dual core, so I don't notice anything slow about it, I guess I just wanted some bragging numbers to let my brother know that my computer is his computer's daddy. Thanks all.
m
l
!