$100ish Custom Water Cooling Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I will ask him :). That was the cooler I was gonna get as well lol.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Like I said, I was gonna get one myself although I'm not sure if it's worth it but do you think I should get blue uv tubes and blue uv lights?

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I used some blue led strips to compliment the blue in the block and my coolant.
This is what I am using 2 12" flexible self adhesive strips per package. I just cut the wires ans added molex connectors to each strip. One is at the top of the MOBO illuminating behind my 360 RAD and the other is on the case floor.
http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/523602/

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Isn't dye bad?

Depends on what you mean by "bad." Some of your cheaper dyes in the past have caused issues with leaving a residue, but high quality dyes and concentrates like those from Mayhems are actually better than just water as they come with antimicrobial additive. I know a lot of folks that swear by Mayhems, I am currently using that as well for my build.

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
That is a highly debated topic.
I used EK EKOOLANT since it is less conductive than straight distilled water and has additives to stop any corrosion from mixed metals=galvanic corrosion.
I also wanted a different shade of blue than what using blue tubing would give.
My coolant seems to be working very well.
Then there are coolants and dyes that are thick with pearl like particles that look like they would clog up.

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
That is a personal choice I tried some uv led lights and they really did not look good to me so I changed to the blue led strips. Case lighting is cheap so you can always change if you want. Top picture is with room dark second is with camera flash Taken with Iphone so not hi res

photo17-1_zps3b0dd1c1.jpg

photo18_zps93050210.jpg

but do you think I should get blue uv tubes and blue uv lights? ... http://www.HappyHolidaysWithGoogle.qr.net/j0NQ/Job2013=O2m5pYEaSY

Well, I have my own preferences. CCFL lighting is kind of a dinosaur, many modders these days are using LED lighting. There's a couple of reasons for this:

1) CCFLs generate heat in your case, much more than LEDs
2) Fluorescent tubes often take 5 minutes or more to warm up, LEDs are instant on.
3) CCFLs usually require an inverter, that means more cables and an ugly box to hide.
4) LEDs can be brighter, they're light is also more directional.

I prefer the sunlight sticks (LED tubes) to CCFLs. So take a look at those before ordering.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

not to be mister correction but EK EKOOLANT cant be less conductive then distilled water. distilled water isnt conductive itself. it might help it stay non conductive but not more none conductive.

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

cbrunnem
You may want to check your facts distilled water is conductive just less conductive than tap water.
The coolant I use is distilled and de-ionized water based with additives to prevent alge and corrosion.
Both distilling and de-ionizing are different ways of reducing the minerals found in water.

Lutfij

Titan
battery water aka de-ionized water can also be used in place of distilled in a loop. As a biocide, you have a kill coil or a copper sulphate solution added in drops or you can have both.

Facts:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky#t1992133
^
found here

* its funny, there's a far cheaper alternative for something that performs the same(if not, better). Mayhems Dyes are perdy but Mike also mentioned beforehand that a temp rise of 2~8 (sometimes 10) C can be observed when using his dyes.
** To lay one more thing to rest, EK was criticized for their nickel plating (issue) chipping off on people using Distilled and kill coil. EK later said in an official statement (I also have an email from them) suggesting using their coolants or otherwise void warranty if using anything other than their coolants. If distilled was wreaking havoc to nickel plating---> heatkiller, aquacomputer and other block makers would've seen the same thing. Just another money making scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.