Just built a pc to my pc keeps on rebooting help

G

can anyone help just built a pc when i switch it on after a few seconds it turns off i have a asus p5qc board,core 2 quad core in 4gig ddr2 ram a antec p180 case does anyone know what might be causing the problem

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
can anyone help just built a pc when i switch it on after a few seconds it turns off i have a asus p5qc board,core 2 quad core in 4gig ddr2 ram a antec p180 case does anyone know what might be causing the problem

Power Supply?

Does the computer post? Are you able to get into Bios?

tronet33

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
i went through most the guide i have now un plugged everything and notice that the q shield has a kind of thick silvery spong clued to it which seems like its making hard for the board to go properly on the case i just wanted to confirm if i need to peel it off as i was not sure as it seems like its clued to the q shield

I don't think the mobo is casuing the problem. If the mobo is being shorted, then something connected to it is causing the short. I assume you've done the breadboard (out of case build) to determine you have a short. If you haven't, try it, as doing so will very likely help you find the short.

here are a few examples of potential shorts:
1. Brass standoffs (the small brass pieces that screw into your case) - The two common problems here are either they are not on tight enough (don't over torque it) or you have too many installed ( you only need one per screw hole in your mobo).

2. Optical drives are touching the mobo- a lot of the older optical drives (IDE, especially) are longer than the newer models and can sometimes extend to the motherboard (depends on the case too). If this is your problem, you may want to move the optical drives out slightly.

3. Front panel - On the front panel of any case, there is a power button (and some have a reset button). Sometimes people find that this is the cause of the short. To test this theory, you can disconnect the front panel from the mobo. To power up the board, use a flathead screwdriver and jump the two pins for the power switch that is located on your mobo.