Upgrade ASUS-P2B-VE motherboard with a Tualatin P III 1.0 Ghz - 1.475V

Tags:
  • Asus
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
October 22, 2010 7:35:05 AM

Hi All,

I have a '99 - HP Pavilion 6418 desktop with the stock P II 400 processor, FSB at 100 Mhz.
I have installed 2 memory banks of 256 MB (133 Mhz) and now wish to upgrade the CPU.
Also, I recently purchased a Slot 1 - Socket 370 adapter.

My question is, would I be able to install and successfully use the Tualatin CPU (P III 1000/128/133/1.475) without damaging either the mobo or the CPU, or should I consider another CPU for the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sam

More about : upgrade asus p2b motherboard tualatin iii ghz 475v

October 22, 2010 8:08:40 AM

Why are you even upgrading that system. Even the cheapest prebuilt will totally destroy your current system.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 87 V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 9:02:31 AM

You need to first auction this rig of yours and believe me if you find the right guy, you're going to be able to make 2 state of the art machines for the price you get from that auction.
If you go to sell it yourself...... :(  No go . It's going to be really next to impossible.
I sold my Tulatin with a TUSL2 Mobo less than a year ago for and amazing 1200$ approx...... :) 
But I was lucky........ :) 
Don't think of upgrading it at all.
Buy a new rig in the next few months......
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2010 5:47:08 PM

alyoshka said:
You need to first auction this rig of yours and believe me if you find the right guy, you're going to be able to make 2 state of the art machines for the price you get from that auction.
If you go to sell it yourself...... :(  No go . It's going to be really next to impossible.
I sold my Tulatin with a TUSL2 Mobo less than a year ago for and amazing 1200$ approx...... :) 
But I was lucky........ :) 
Don't think of upgrading it at all.
Buy a new rig in the next few months......

HAHAHAHA ... that is a good thought, however the only reason I ventured into the upgrade is coz the machine holds a certain sentimental value, besides, it might prove to be a learning experience.

Re. the auction bit, that is a good idea, I just might consider that sooner than later.

Nonetheless, thanks for your comment. :-D
m
l
January 5, 2011 1:49:47 AM

Lol a prebuilt would totally destroy that.

I have the exact same mobo in my old PC (an HP 8570c) and want to upgrade the processor, but I am aware that the manual says it only supports up to a 500MHz processor. But, I realized HP might be lying once again, as the manual said my newer motherboard doesn't support Core 2 Quads while someone online said he was running a Core 2 Quad in the same motherboard.
m
l
!