Upgrade ASUS-P2B-VE motherboard with a Tualatin P III 1.0 Ghz - 1.475V

sam_6666

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Hi All,

I have a '99 - HP Pavilion 6418 desktop with the stock P II 400 processor, FSB at 100 Mhz.
I have installed 2 memory banks of 256 MB (133 Mhz) and now wish to upgrade the CPU.
Also, I recently purchased a Slot 1 - Socket 370 adapter.

My question is, would I be able to install and successfully use the Tualatin CPU (P III 1000/128/133/1.475) without damaging either the mobo or the CPU, or should I consider another CPU for the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sam

You need to first auction this rig of yours and believe me if you find the right guy, you're going to be able to make 2 state of the art machines for the price you get from that auction.
If you go to sell it yourself...... :( No go . It's going to be really next to impossible.
I sold my Tulatin with a TUSL2 Mobo less than a year ago for and amazing 1200$ approx...... :)
But I was lucky........ :)
Don't think of upgrading it at all.
Buy a new rig in the next few months......

sam_6666

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

HAHAHAHA ... that is a good thought, however the only reason I ventured into the upgrade is coz the machine holds a certain sentimental value, besides, it might prove to be a learning experience.

Re. the auction bit, that is a good idea, I just might consider that sooner than later.

Nonetheless, thanks for your comment. :-D

TrantaLocked

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Lol a prebuilt would totally destroy that.

I have the exact same mobo in my old PC (an HP 8570c) and want to upgrade the processor, but I am aware that the manual says it only supports up to a 500MHz processor. But, I realized HP might be lying once again, as the manual said my newer motherboard doesn't support Core 2 Quads while someone online said he was running a Core 2 Quad in the same motherboard.