How 2 install GeForce FX5200 PCI card

koneko-chan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Hi,

I bought an FX5200 PCI video card to install on my 5 1/2 year old Dell system.

It's simple enough to do the hardware install, but the instructions say to change my BIOS settings from Primary Display Adaptor to PCI first.

How do I change my BIOS so that I can install my new card?

I could not find instructions in my service manual. PNY does not assist with this. :non: Dell won't assist because I bought the card from Amazon.com.

Thank you.
:hello:

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
To enter your BIOS you need to press either DEL or one of the F keys when the computer is going through its POST (like the first 5-10 seconds after you hit the power button). This should bring you to a blue screen with grey and/or yellow writing. Im not familiar with Dell BIOSs so you will have to explore around the different options looking for it. If you think you screwed up some of the settings just exit the bios without saving or load optimized defaults and save/exit will fix anything youve changed.

koneko-chan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Can I install the card first, then do this? Or do I need to change the BIOS first?

Thanks.

That is what I do on my vintage Compaq and did on my HP rigs. The same applies to almost any board out there that has integrated graphics.