Sign in with
Your question

How 2 install GeForce FX5200 PCI card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2010 9:22:33 PM

Hi,

I bought an FX5200 PCI video card to install on my 5 1/2 year old Dell system.

It's simple enough to do the hardware install, but the instructions say to change my BIOS settings from Primary Display Adaptor to PCI first.

How do I change my BIOS so that I can install my new card?

I could not find instructions in my service manual. PNY does not assist with this. :non:  Dell won't assist because I bought the card from Amazon.com.

Thank you.
:hello: 
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 9:47:45 PM

To enter your BIOS you need to press either DEL or one of the F keys when the computer is going through its POST (like the first 5-10 seconds after you hit the power button). This should bring you to a blue screen with grey and/or yellow writing. Im not familiar with Dell BIOSs so you will have to explore around the different options looking for it. If you think you screwed up some of the settings just exit the bios without saving or load optimized defaults and save/exit will fix anything youve changed.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 9:48:02 PM

Assuming that you have already tried using the card I would dump it in while still using the on board then turn off integrated graphics.
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2010 9:58:37 PM

paperfox said:
To enter your BIOS you need to press either DEL or one of the F keys when the computer is going through its POST (like the first 5-10 seconds after you hit the power button). This should bring you to a blue screen with grey and/or yellow writing. Im not familiar with Dell BIOSs so you will have to explore around the different options looking for it. If you think you screwed up some of the settings just exit the bios without saving or load optimized defaults and save/exit will fix anything youve changed.

Can I install the card first, then do this? Or do I need to change the BIOS first?

Thanks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 10:04:31 PM

You could install the card first but if it dose not give you any video then you will have to use the integrated graphics as nforce4max pointed out.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 10:07:38 PM

paperfox said:
You could install the card first but if it dose not give you any video then you will have to use the integrated graphics as nforce4max pointed out.

That is what I do on my vintage Compaq and did on my HP rigs. The same applies to almost any board out there that has integrated graphics.
m
l
February 19, 2010 10:15:01 PM

Hey, thanks to you both,

I will install the card first, and see what happens.

I don't know how to change BIOS so, wish me luck.

m
l
Related resources
!