Odd patterns appear on screen when trying to boot up

PC Lover157

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Hi All,

I have an Intel Prescott 2.4 GHz processor with the Intel 915 motherboard, and 256 MB RAM. I have Win XP installed on the system.

Of late, I've been facing this problem where odd patterns appear on the screen when trying to boot up. The screen reaches the stage when it gives me several options to choose from: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, LKGC, Start Windows Normally etc. I choose one of the options, but instead of progressing further, the screen contents disintegrate into a bunch of flashing square-like shapes.

I tried booting from the CD ROM drive to re-install XP, but the same problem happened moments after the setup opened. Also, I sometimes see a RAM R/W error just on bootup.

This leads me to suspect either the RAM or the motherboard. I feel like ruling out CPU overheating problems since it runs at 52 degrees C, which I believe is normal for a Prescott.

Can you guys help me with inputs on how to troubleshoot? Will I need to go shopping for RAM or a motherboard?

Thanks in advance!

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

Sounds like video to me. If you have integrated (im almost sure you do) video on your board, this may be the case.

Fro the ram, run memtest and test your ram. It's also a possibility that your ram could be messing up (or both ram & video).

For a system like this - it might be due for an upgrade mate xD.