How do I know if a motherboard's HDMI will support audio?

nzdreamer55

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I'm building a HTPC and am going to use the on board graphic and audio to go to my TV. I see a lot of motherboards on newegg.com that have HDMI outputs, but it is hard to tell if they will support audio. Is there a way to find this out easily (say by manufacturer or by something in their name)?
Is there a way to tell if they just output stereo or higher say 5.1?

Thanks

Steve

nzdreamer55

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Well I tried to go to gigibyte and looked at one of their motherbord manuals, but there wasn't anything about the HDMI and audio over it. I sent them an e-mail throught their tech support page, but I never have a good feeling about those things. I'll try other makers.

steve

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Well that's another way of getting info. They usually do reply, but it can take days if not weeks.

But i don't see why you wouldn't get audio in your hdmi. I mean your board has built-in audio correct? Well that should also be transferred to your hdmi. I don't know about the 5.1 deal though.

nzdreamer55

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, it should, but most of the boards also have sPDIF as well as multi channel outputs. I would hate to get a board only to find out that I need to pipe the sPDIF up to my TV. My TV only can use composit or component video and sPDIF or HDMI but not HDMI and sPDIF. I guess the manufacture figured that if you have an HDMI cable that it will be providing the audio.
Steve

nzdreamer55

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I cannot believe how fast I got a reply from Gigabyte. They confirmed that their boards will do stereo sound, not 5.1:

Here is a link, but I'm not sure that it will work:
http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/gtsemail.asp?UserEmail=nzdreamer55@gmail.com&EmailID=992330&EmailPreviousID=992330&OpenEmail=Y&LanguageID=1

Text below:

Answer - 992330
Answer : Dear customer,
No, All HDMI out only provide Stereo, to connect 5.1 audio out, you need to have receiver which has HDMI port in and 5.1 speaker ports out .

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.
Question - 992330