Solved

How do I know if a motherboard's HDMI will support audio?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 22, 2010 1:45:16 PM

I'm building a HTPC and am going to use the on board graphic and audio to go to my TV. I see a lot of motherboards on newegg.com that have HDMI outputs, but it is hard to tell if they will support audio. Is there a way to find this out easily (say by manufacturer or by something in their name)?
Is there a way to tell if they just output stereo or higher say 5.1?

Thanks

Steve
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 4:26:21 PM

If anything it should be in the motherboard's manual. Just go to the manufacturers website (ie. support.asus.com) and look for the manual (after specifiying the correct board you're looking for) and download it.
0
October 22, 2010 5:02:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that it wasn't going to be quick. I was hoping there was a quick way, but I didn't think to look at the manual. Thanks again.
Steve
0
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 7:23:13 PM

Not a problem! Glad i could help :)

If you need anything else feel free to ask x)
0
October 22, 2010 7:32:57 PM

Well I tried to go to gigibyte and looked at one of their motherbord manuals, but there wasn't anything about the HDMI and audio over it. I sent them an e-mail throught their tech support page, but I never have a good feeling about those things. I'll try other makers.

steve
0
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 7:38:28 PM

Well that's another way of getting info. They usually do reply, but it can take days if not weeks.

But i don't see why you wouldn't get audio in your hdmi. I mean your board has built-in audio correct? Well that should also be transferred to your hdmi. I don't know about the 5.1 deal though.

0
October 22, 2010 7:43:52 PM

Yeah, it should, but most of the boards also have sPDIF as well as multi channel outputs. I would hate to get a board only to find out that I need to pipe the sPDIF up to my TV. My TV only can use composit or component video and sPDIF or HDMI but not HDMI and sPDIF. I guess the manufacture figured that if you have an HDMI cable that it will be providing the audio.
Steve
0
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 7:48:43 PM

Well usually that's the case. What board is it you want to buy?

Most boards will have the option to set the audio via HDMI or the regular port (3.5mm). That might just be the case with the board you want.
0
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 8:03:44 PM

From my experience any motherboard with an intergrated ATI graphics chip will do sound over HDMI. nVidia at one point did not (I believe they do now)
0
October 22, 2010 9:57:23 PM

I cannot believe how fast I got a reply from Gigabyte. They confirmed that their boards will do stereo sound, not 5.1:

Here is a link, but I'm not sure that it will work:
http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/gtsemail.asp?UserEmail=nzdr...

Text below:

Quote:
Answer - 992330
Answer : Dear customer,
No, All HDMI out only provide Stereo, to connect 5.1 audio out, you need to have receiver which has HDMI port in and 5.1 speaker ports out .

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.
Question - 992330