Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Computer Won't Turn On

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 2, 2010 10:54:48 PM

Can someone explain or help me solve why my computer won't turn on.

I have everything plugged in and this is not the first time I've built a computer (just recently built 4 systems for myself, family and friends)

Specs:
Intel i7-860
Corsair H50 water cooling
4 x 2gb Super Talent ddr3 1600mhz
4 x 1tb Samsung F3
1 x MSI 260gtx 216
ECS p55H-A motherboard
700watt OCZ modular power supply
Lian Li k62 case

When I power on the PSU from O to - and click the power on button, my system flashes but doesn't post. What I mean by flashing is the fans come on for a fraction of a second (I can tell because they're blue LED) and that's it. The standby light on the mobo is on throughout. I also tried the Clear CMOS button and it does the same thing.. flashes my system and all the lights including the lcd post and power on light flash for a mere second. Can people tell me what is wrong? The same thing happens when I remove my memory and gpu, so they shouldn't be the problem. Is it a short or something? And how could it be if I have the mobo on the right atx standoffs and secured in. All power cables are secured.

.. I really hope its not the mobo or else I'm going to have to disassemble and do everything over again... including a RMA headache. Any comments would be appreciated.

More about : computer turn

March 2, 2010 11:07:12 PM

I'm sure a 700w PSU is enough for that, but have you tried just having the one HDD plugged in (or are they in a raid config?). There's a few local shops that test PSU's around here for me. That would be the first thing I would try.

A stupid question, but you do have the 8-pin plug also plugged into the Mobo as well as the 24 pin right?

Best solution

March 2, 2010 11:10:05 PM
Share

We have a sticky just for troubleshooting this type of problem.

READ before posting about boot problems!

The first step in troubleshooting is to perform EVERY step in that checklist. Let us know how it goes.
Related resources
March 3, 2010 12:12:15 AM

Yes, I have done everything on that guide. However, how can I check thoroughly for any possible shorts?

BUMP

looking for more responses :) 
March 3, 2010 1:43:27 PM

The breadboarding suggestion at the bottom of the checklist is there to rule out a short. You have to take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non-conductive surface like a cardboard box.

You're not really going to find any suggestions that aren't already in the checklist. I keep the checklist up to date with all the good troubleshooting ideas I come across either in forum threads, tech articles, or in my own personal research/experience.
March 3, 2010 4:11:24 PM

Best answer selected by shadowf0x.
August 3, 2012 12:39:21 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The breadboarding suggestion at the bottom of the checklist is there to rule out a short. You have to take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non-conductive surface like a cardboard box.

You're not really going to find any suggestions that aren't already in the checklist. I keep the checklist up to date with all the good troubleshooting ideas I come across either in forum threads, tech articles, or in my own personal research/experience.


Old post I know. How about a computer that does not turn on at all? Friend put a computer together with new i5 asrock z77 pro4 750 ocz psu no video card and no sticks of ram yet. He was just trying to get it to power on and turn the fans to make sure it was connected properly. I double checked all his connections and they are all correct. Press the power button on the case and the LED turns on for a split second. No fans spin, PSU does not spin, CPU does not spin, nothing. I will pull his motherboard to see if he has any extra standoffs under it, but I doubt this is the issue. I would think it would turn on and beep for ram error at least. I am guessing its a PSU problem and will bring in a spare to test with. Any other obvious things I am missing?
April 1, 2013 12:44:37 PM

shadowf0x said:
Can someone explain or help me solve why my computer won't turn on.

I have everything plugged in and this is not the first time I've built a computer (just recently built 4 systems for myself, family and friends)

Specs:
Intel i7-860
Corsair H50 water cooling
4 x 2gb Super Talent ddr3 1600mhz
4 x 1tb Samsung F3
1 x MSI 260gtx 216
ECS p55H-A motherboard
700watt OCZ modular power supply
Lian Li k62 case

When I power on the PSU from O to - and click the power on button, my system flashes but doesn't post. What I mean by flashing is the fans come on for a fraction of a second (I can tell because they're blue LED) and that's it. The standby light on the mobo is on throughout. I also tried the Clear CMOS button and it does the same thing.. flashes my system and all the lights including the lcd post and power on light flash for a mere second. Can people tell me what is wrong? The same thing happens when I remove my memory and gpu, so they shouldn't be the problem. Is it a short or something? And how could it be if I have the mobo on the right atx standoffs and secured in. All power cables are secured.

.. I really hope its not the mobo or else I'm going to have to disassemble and do everything over again... including a RMA headache. Any comments would be appreciated.


I'm having the same problem with a somewhat similar set up. I've gone through the sticky list of problems suggested and still the same problem. haven't gone and tested to see if the psu is the problem yet. Did you ever find out what the issue is??
April 1, 2013 1:02:30 PM

I am fairly sure the reason for my problem was either a bad motherboard which I RMAed or the modular power supply was installed/plugged in incorrectly. In this case, I used another modular cable that didn't come with the PSU on it. I guess the PSU was smart enough to detect that that one cable (from another PSU) wasn't compatible.
Also, you should probably check your front panel wiring (power, sw, hdd etc). Hope that was helpful to some degree
April 1, 2013 1:10:14 PM

So you did replace the motherboard but just used different cords for the PSU? And yeah, I've got the braided wires in correctly, so hard to diagnose this, it can be so many things. I'd hate to have to RMA the motherboard, such a pain! Thanks for the quick reply man

April 1, 2013 2:21:44 PM

k4nc3r said:
So you did replace the motherboard but just used different cords for the PSU? And yeah, I've got the braided wires in correctly, so hard to diagnose this, it can be so many things. I'd hate to have to RMA the motherboard, such a pain! Thanks for the quick reply man



No problem dude! I got the motherboard RMA'd. And I feel your trouble! computers can be quite hard to diagnose. But if it's not turning on its probably the power supply or motherboard.
!