Sign in with
Your question

E8400 running under full load at nearly 100 degrees!

Last response: in CPUs
May 10, 2010 12:02:58 AM

Hi Guys,

I've just checked my CPU temp for the first time in months and under load it gets up to nearly 100 degrees.
My system:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM

I have the original stock fan on my processor (not OC'd) and a large case with a side fan. It definitely never used to get this hot, maybe 57 degrees at the most. I'm using the Everest ultimate sidebar gadget to check the temp. Ambient temperature about 20 degrees.

What can I do to lower the temp, any reason why it is so high when it wasn't before?

Thanks,
Ryan
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 12:16:06 AM

im guessing this is *C, did you check with any other software, try this

http://www.cpuid.com/download/hwmonitor/HWMonitor_115.z...

you can try taking out the heatsink, cleaning it (dust + thermal paste) reapplying thermal paste and reseating, a 65w processor is not supposed to be getting those temps, my 3.4ghz 965 only gets to the high 70s with a stock q6600 cooler so the prob could just as easily be thet one of the pushpins came loose, good luck
May 10, 2010 12:21:55 AM

wierd. the cpu will throttle down to really slow clock speeds when it gets too hot. when it does get that hot do u notice the pc going very slowly?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 12:21:55 AM

I'm guessing the machine is a few years old?

If so, there's a good chance the thermal paste on the CPU has gotten baked into a brittle crust that's not making as good contact anymore, so it doesn't transfer heat as well. That's the first thing I'd check. Your CPU fan could also be starting to give out. I'd probably put a new cooler on anyway if you plan on keeping this machine for a while, because Intel's s775 stock coolers are known to be pieces of poo.
May 10, 2010 12:25:21 AM

capt_taco said:
I'm guessing the machine is a few years old?

If so, there's a good chance the thermal paste on the CPU has gotten baked into a brittle crust that's not making as good contact anymore, so it doesn't transfer heat as well. That's the first thing I'd check. Your CPU fan could also be starting to give out. I'd probably put a new cooler on anyway if you plan on keeping this machine for a while, because Intel's s775 stock coolers are known to be pieces of poo.

i thought they were ok. at least not as bad as the p4 s478 coolers :) 
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 12:28:59 AM

shovenose said:

I don't know. I left the stock cooler on my q9550 machine for the first couple months after I built it, and it would overheat even though I didn't overclock it at all and had a TON of airflow through the case. Put a $30 Thermaltake cooler on it and haven't had a problem since.

My old P4 machine that I still occasionally use to play old games ... it's had the stock cooler for six years, and it's in a mATX case with average to poor ventilation (only a single intake fan), but it's never come close to overheating.

Anyway, I suppose a lot of it depends on your individual setup or on luck, but my only experience with the 775 stock cooler is that it was just not powerful enough to get the job done.
May 10, 2010 12:35:22 AM

i had a (used) socket 478 cooler on a p4 and it was REALLY noisy!!!
May 10, 2010 12:38:19 AM

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll have a look and give it a clean in the morning. The computer is only about 6months old so there shouldn't be any problems with dried thermal paste. If i do need to put new thermal paste on, what can i use to remove the old?
I had thought about getting an after market fan, what would you reccomend for this processor, a fairly cheap one is all i can afford.
Yes, sadly all temps are in *C
May 10, 2010 12:40:40 AM

shovenose said:
wierd. the cpu will throttle down to really slow clock speeds when it gets too hot. when it does get that hot do u notice the pc going very slowly?

The temp reading i was getting was when i was running prime95, but even so, i was able to use ie explorer easily whilst cores were @ 98 and 96*C.
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 1:27:45 AM

shovenose said:

shovenose said:
i had a (used) socket 478 cooler on a p4 and it was REALLY noisy!!!

You must be a bad computer carer. :non:  lol. Jk.

Im still using the 478 stock HSF and it's not really that noisy for me. (at least compared to the north bridge HSF.)

@OP

To remove old thermal paste use: 90% isopropyl alcohol with Q-tips is what i know. Although there are a few others that are out there.

For after market HSF, i would recommend this but im not sure if it's in your price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If not this maybe a good one. Just make sure it can fit with out blocking something like the ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now for the temps, even on a Stock HSF the temps shouldn't be getting that high. Even my p4 with it's stock HSF doesn't reach that high under max load (normal use it reaches low to mid 70c's and prime95 makes it reach into the low 80's). adding to that the thermal paste hasn't been change at all. (although the HSF does get a regular monthly cleaning via can of air)

So something going on. Sounds like to me the HSF just needs a good dust cleaning out. Either that, the fan on the HS has died. unlikely but possible.

May 10, 2010 4:16:17 AM

yes the 212 is greatest cooler ever!
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 4:25:37 AM

^^ This one. People rate that one very highly, especially for the price. The Zalman ones are also incredibly good coolers, but if you go that route, make sure you can fit them in your case, because Zalman coolers tend to be H-U-G-E.

Another option that I've had good luck with myself is the Thermaltake Silent 775 or the Thermaltake ISGC-100:

http://www.altex.com/%2FThermaltake-Silent-775-CPU-Cool...
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1148&ID=18...

I've found them to be very good for systems where vertical space is an issue. Not only have they done a very good job cooling my CPU, but (as the name implies) they're very quiet. So one more option to consider maybe. If it will fit, though, I really don't think you'll go wrong with the CoolerMaster Hyper 212.
May 10, 2010 11:59:18 AM

Thanks for all your help everyone, cleaned HSF, there was A LOT of dust, cleaned and reapplied thermal paste. (removed with vodka!) 100% CPU utilization now runs at only 77*C and idle at ~40*C. Still too high, luckily I don't tax my computer that much. Think I will buy a new HSF, now just need to find one that fits on my mini mobo.
Should've mentioned that my fan makes a hell of a lot of noise when computer boots...

Thanks again.
!