Sign in with
Your question

Which one is the best Flagship x58 motherboard ?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 1:52:36 PM

Hi,
I'm planning to buy a new X58 motherboard
my MB requirements:

1- PERFECT COOLING SYSTEM FOR THE NORTHBRIDGE AND THE SOUTHBRIDGE
I'm not planning to get a water cooling system right now, but maybe in the future
2- Supports 4 WAY SLI/CF
3- Supports NF 200 Chip + CUDA Technology
4- Good Voltages for overclocking + good power phases / VRM

My 3 Choices are:

1- Gigabyte UD9
2- EVGA 4-WAY SLI Classified
3- ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer

** ASUS RAMPAGE 3 EXTREME + (ASUS ROG XPANDER) for 4WAY SLI/CF

I'm looking for the UD9 for several reasons:

1- Hybrid Silent Pipe 2 for the cooling system
2- Built in Water cooling system for the bridges (futuristic use) - no needs for water blocks
3- USB3/S6

But I have a question for these MBs: If I want to put a sound card, how can I put with these 7 PCI-E X16 lanes ?

I want to build a new system for 7 years in the future like my old P3 system which I'd it for 10 years and I didn't change it !
Please advise me which MB is the best for me, or it will be a money waste ?!
Or would you recommend me to wait for the LGA 2011 with the support of QUAD memory channels + PCI-E 3

Thanks,
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 4:55:44 PM

Future proofing is truly a waste of money. I suggest a low end x58 board with used 920 or 930 cpu (try anandtech or craigslist) and go from there. The p3 system lasted ten years because boards were higher quality back then and produced less heat. Plus multiple video cards require a very expensive power supply and more fans to move the warm air. Water cooling has it's own maintenance, though limited. One good video card should work fine. Get one of the evga or other brands that have a lifetime warranty when you register them online. And with the money you save, you'll be able to upgrade every 3-5 years and get more of your dollars back if you unload your system.
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 6:37:31 PM

Well future-proofing is, well not easy. o1die has a point there - i usually build new pc's whenever i spontaneously feel like building a new one. Then i sell my old one - and keep going from there. Which is usually about till another CPU line comes out.

I went from Pentium II > Pentium III > (skipped P4 era T-T) > Core 2 Duos > Quad's > and now i'm working on my Six-core build > and i'm guessing when anything higher than a six-core comes out i'm building that lol

So best deal is to build a system that will last you a solid good few years (jaquith's methods is no more than 5 years) and buy quality parts. Try to search for the good deals, and take your time doing research.

For top quality boards i recommend EVGA, Asus, and Msi. Giggy is also good, but i'm not the biggest fan.

I'd go of with no.2 (EVGA 4-way) or the Classified 3 (nom nom nom xD)
!