Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Lots of errors with memory

Last response: in Memory
October 22, 2010 2:47:53 PM

Hi there,

I bought my new computer (I posted earlier with requests for advice on my parts) and heres what I got:

Mobo: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: Intel i7 950 3.07ghz
Memory: Corsair 12 gig kit DDR3 1600 - HX3X12G1600C9
Video: evga geforce GTX470 Superclocked Edition x1 for now, will be going 2 way SLI eventually
Phsyx: evga 9800GTX
HDD(OS): Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 120gb (OS drive)
HDD(Data): 2TB on NAS, 500gb Caviar Black - Both pre-existing
Case: CoolerMaster HAF X
PSU: Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W

Link for my ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its been running extremely well in windows and IE, but Crysis has crashed 3 times over about 6 hours of gaming. Its the only game I'm currently playing really, so I can't say for sure if its Crysis or the PC. I finally can play it at max so I wanted to beat it.

I ran Memtest86+ from a USB key over night last night and when I got up it was still running and I had a whole bunch of red lines and in the Errors section it said 5180 and in Pass it said 4.

I've never used memtest before but I'm thinking that isn't good. Everything is running stock, no overclocking and the HAF X case is full of fans and has been keeping everything crispy cool. In the BIOS i tried setting my memory to XMP but it said that it was 1066 memory. I changed the timing to 1600 and thats it (Leaving it on XMP Profile 1). It asked if i wanted it to detect voltage, I said yes and it detected it at 1.6 (which is what newegg lists it as).

Is this just a configuration error or should I look at exchanging my memory? Someone here suggested when I was first purchasing it that I shouldn't load up all 6 memory slots at the beginning. I didn't have the extra cash to get the 12 gig kit that comes on 3 chips, but I'm starting to think maybe I could find the difference somewhere and change. That kit is from Patriot though and I don't know how they compare to other brands?

The 12gig kit on 3 chip:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX29709(ME).aspx

Thanks in advance.

Edit - Forgot to mention, i'm running the latest bios, I didn't upgrade it but I checked on Asus's website and it shipped with the latest.

Edit2 - By Crash in Crysis I mean Crysis just locks up, video freezes, sound stops and it just like a pause button was pressed. Escape does nothing, no menus. I can Ctrl + Alt + Delete and kill Crysis and take myself back to Windows, and when Crysis is killed I'm back to normal in windows and can re-launch crysis immediatly after.

More about : lots errors memory

a c 347 } Memory
October 22, 2010 3:05:37 PM

NEVER use XMP in the BIOS! Manually set your RAM via DOCP - Speed, CAS timings, and DRAM Voltage.. If the BIOS is incorrectly set, like it is, the RAM will error. {BSOD, Unstable, Post Failure}.

This should correct the problems, but to be on the safe side what 'other' BIOS change were made?
m
l
October 22, 2010 4:12:10 PM

No other changes to the bios beyond putting drives into AHCI instead of IDE mode.

I did look at DOCP but the timings wouldn't allow 1600, there was 1500 and 1800 as options. I'm not wanting to over clock anything right now.

For my equipment what should I set in the bios for the Speed, CAS and Voltage?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 163 } Memory
October 22, 2010 4:31:46 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Saint19
m
l
October 22, 2010 4:40:55 PM

Hey saint19, just curiuos why you changed the title from Corsair memory to RAM memory? I'm not slandering corsair, I'm trying to get a resolution for my issue.

Just curious.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 22, 2010 4:45:09 PM

My error 1600 MHz DOCP; everything on my rig is OC. [First I Loaded Defaults / keep your other settings] -> use AI Overclock Tuner {Auto} ; DRAM Frequency {DDR3-1600} ; for best performance -> set the CAS timings in DRAM Timing Control and DRAM Voltage.

m
l
October 22, 2010 4:56:59 PM

Great, I'll try at home tonight. Thanks jaquith!
m
l
October 22, 2010 6:58:46 PM

I went home over my lunchbreak and made the changes you suggested after resetting bios. Ran Memtest for about 10 minutes and got about 50+ errors, 0 pass.

Just for fun I went back into the bios, reset again and put everything to AUTO. My memory is detected at 1066mhz, and I booted into memtest for 5 minutes. 20 or so errors, 0 passes. Reset bios again and set to XMP and left everything as default. Again detects my 1600 ram as 1066 and memtest gave about 30 errors, 0 passes before I shut it down and came back to work.

Think its the memory or could I be missing a crucial step/option? What I don't understand is how stable the computer SEEMS to be besides a couple Crysis crashes that didn't actually bring the whole machine down, just affected crysis. With the amount of errors and how fast they pop up in Memtest I would have thought my computer would be very unstable.

Thanks for the help!
m
l
October 25, 2010 3:58:06 PM

I went and exchanged my memory. No errors in memtest or windows memory diagnostics now.

I went with a 12 gig Patriot kit (3 x 4GB) PC3-12800 Enhanced Latency Kit :
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX29709(ME).aspx

This stuff has a lifetime warrenty and every chip is tested before it leaves their facility. Seems to get great reviews and no issues at all so far for me. Plus this will let me upgrade to 24 gigs if I ever want to, which I may when the ram kit is in the value bin for next to nothing in a year or two. Did over 12 hours of gaming yesterday and no errors or crashing.

Thanks!
m
l

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
October 25, 2010 5:59:27 PM

Keep your fingers crossed; Patriot is about the most frequent visitor with problems.

Best for $ & Low on problems -> Corsair, G.SKILL, Mushkin & Kingston - Crucial on a budget. And not all lines Corsair Dominator's only or GT.

Good Luck!
October 25, 2010 9:42:05 PM

Uh oh! Well, heres hoping! I could have gone with teh Mushkin Blackline 6 x 2 for the same price but I figured it was better to have the freedom to go to 24 gigs. So far so good, we'll see. I did check these ones out and reviews seem great but time will tell.

Thanks again for all your help jaquith
m
l
October 25, 2010 9:42:28 PM

Best answer selected by drswaity.
m
l
!