Sign in with
Your question

XP Pro constant reboot after restore to last known good

Last response: in Windows XP
November 1, 2012 9:02:24 AM

Hello,
XP Pro constant reboot after restore to last known good configuration selected. Boot from OEM CD does not display existing partition drive, only remnant partition drive. Need to boot to a point where restore can be run. Any ideas?
November 12, 2012 8:28:30 PM

Go to safe mode and disable automatic reboot on crash.
What is happening on normal boot ?
m
l
November 17, 2012 12:38:08 PM

Rockplanet said:
Hello,
XP Pro constant reboot after restore to last known good configuration selected. Boot from OEM CD does not display existing partition drive, only remnant partition drive. Need to boot to a point where restore can be run. Any ideas?

f8 at start-up that's safe mode do a disk clean-up then restart back into windows so the cmos can save the settings the boot order.. ;) 
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2012 1:49:23 AM

Cyberat_88 said:
Go to safe mode and disable automatic reboot on crash.
What is happening on normal boot ?

Safe mode, normal boot, any boot, it reboots. I recall this problem happened when CA was upgraded because Malware Bytes had been installed but I could get to some form of safe mode at that time. Now, it just reboots no matter what path is selected. I booted from an OEM install CD but the partition didn't even show up then, only the remnant partition showed up. I am looking for some kind of disc that will allow me to boot up and edit the drive in a DOS like mode but I know that might be highly unlikely to find. Any help would be appreciated!
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:41:46 AM

What do you call a CA ? (standard for Canada or California)
Any partition (magic) software that runs on boot can help you do that, too common. Most likely Windows Install cannot find it because you need drivers for your HDD. XP sees SATA as SCSI interface. If you have the capability, go to BIOS and switch to IDE mode for HDD, should see it then. I constantly install Malware Bytes (free edition) and had no problems to speak of.
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:50:54 AM

CA = Computer Associates. Will try the IDE change and see what happens. Malware Bytes is mostly benign until you try upgrade Computer Associates then something corrupts the registry and all CA and Malware Bytes references have to be "manually" removed. It took an iYogi guy almost 2 hours to bring the system back up but now I have had to let the subscription lapse due to economics. Many thanks for your help!
m
l
November 25, 2012 2:09:17 PM

Yogi Bear does registry clean ups ? Yikes, I'm in trouble. :-p
You're Welcome.
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:13:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I will try it when I get to boot window. Thanks!
m
l
!