Performance

G

I, want to run Win2k, on My home PC, currently using ME!!! Will all my games be compatible with this OS, Eg. Unreal Tournament, Quake3 etc... Will there be any loss of performance?

AMD_Villain

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I can say for certain that UT, Q3A both run fine. Certain EA Sports games don't really like 2000, but other than that w2k is an awesome gaming OS. I bet I have 25 games (no exageration) running great on w2k. The only thing you will notice is your shiz doesn't crash anymore :)

Some programs will run a bit faster, some a bit slower but it's all in the <5fps range so you won't really notice one way or the other.

Stop reading this message, and get working on the upgrade right now.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Last time I looked (hello, six months ago++) the place to go was <A HREF="http://www.ntcompatible.com" target="_new">http://www.ntcompatible.com</A>.

It might be a .net or something now. Anyway, all the games are listed. Some of them are only good with win2k service pack 0 (default), and some of them are only good for sp2. You'll have to experiment to find out, becuse that's not listed. For example, Curse of Monkey Island does not like sp0, but runs just ducky under sp2.
On any 3d games, you'll see a drop in frame rates. In the experience I've had, it's 10-15%, and it's an issue with the drivers. So, if you're getting 50fps (min) in Unreal Tourney with a 1.4gig tbird and GF2 Ultra, it'll drop to 42fps (min).

I know it's an issue with the drivers, becuase on my laptop 2d games run faster under win2k than win98se. Right off the top of my head, Aoe2, Commandos, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 2, and Jagged Alliance 2 smoke win98 in terms of fps (which means noticable; 15% or greater). That's with a 266 Pentium 2, and a 2meg Neomagic Card.

On a little side note, I've heard a few crack smoking individuals got diablo 2 to run under Wine. I figured I'd believe it when I see it, but I've not had time to check it out on Mandrake 8.0/8.1.

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
SP2 is a must as well as all of the downloadable compatibility updates from MS.

One other note, even though MS advises against doing this, I have installed several Win95/98 only games on my system by utilizing "Compatability Mode" and have had no problems as a result.