Canoscan N670U driver Windows 7

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
you can download drivers from the canon website.
if it's an old scanner and doesn't have drivers for 7 then drivers for vista would work.
if it's a really old scanner and doesn't even have 64bit drivers (assuming your running 64bit OS) then you could give a program called Vuescan a shot.

Magda987

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I downloaded the driver for Vista and it's still not working. It would help a lot if you provided all the steps necessary to do this. how do you make the driver compatible for Win7? I don't have any clue about those things. Sorry.

TiWiWaas

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012

Glessard!
Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm dealing with the same thing. I need to scan something, so I dug out my old Canon CanScan N76OU and the CD that came with it. When trying to load the software from the disk. I get a prompt telling me that even if I load the software it sill will not work because I do not have the correct driver. That I need a Twain driver. I've been to several website trying to Download a Twain driver. Canon site being one of them. And I just end up downloading, Driver Tuners, Driver helpers.

What did you find out?

Thanks

glessard

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

I met all the same problems and finally I gave up. Sorry.

dulcegusto

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

I used virtualbox as an ugly big driver... it took me the whole night, so here are the results: i'am happy i can scan with a 15 years old scanner :)

Take half an hour of you time and go solve your problem by learning new things about computers:

First install virtualbox, set up a new virtual machine, i named mine N656U, with all the defaults settings.
Configure shares, install virtualbox guest addistions on guest, and host drivers on host (indeed :).
Find an xp cdrom ( or a bart's pe iso! ;) use it as a drive on the virtual machine
type this command:
[cpp]Portable-VirtualBox\app64\VBoxManage.exe usb filter add 0 -target N656U -name CANOSCAN -action hold -active yes -productid 2206[/cpp]
(this should help connect the scanner to the virtual machine through virtualbox, you can also use the virtualbox utility).
Then start the virtual machine, configure, install irfanviewer on it, install the xp driver for the scanner, then save a "snapshot" using virtual box manage windows.
Now to use the scanner i wrote that:
[cpp]%userprofile%\Desktop\Virtualbox\Portable-Virtualbox\app64\VBoxManage.exe snapshot N656U restorecurrent
%userprofile%\Desktop\Virtualbox\Portable-Virtualbox\app64\VBoxManage.exe -q startvm N656U
timeout /t 20
%userprofile%\Desktop\Virtualbox\Portable-Virtualbox\app64\VBoxManage.exe --nologo guestcontrol N656U execute --image "c:\progra~1\irfanview\autoscan.bat" --username "yournamehere" --password "" --wait-exit
wait
%userprofile%\Desktop\Virtualbox\Portable-Virtualbox\app64\VBoxManage.exe controlvm N656U poweroff[/cpp]

On XP guest you will maybe need to read this to allow remote connection: from virtualbox manual
run: gpedit.msc
open the key Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
change the value of Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only to Disabled.

I also use a batch script on the guest, in irfanview program folder:
a simple irfan viewer command :
[cpp]

"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /batchscan=("scan",1,1,3,0,"e:\",jpg,0)[/cpp]

It could have been cleaner using a linux based virtualmachine, with sane..saneserver.. next time i guess!
yeah, and on linux, this sorts of thing (an os upgrade that break a driver) simply NEVER happen...