Your question

Antec truepower new 650W

Last response: in Components
May 10, 2010 2:34:35 AM

I seem to get different results for calculated power requirement for my system

My build:
asus p7p55D-E Pro
intel i5 750
4GB ram DDR3 Pc12800 (add another 4GB in the future)
Radeon HD 4850 Graphics
silverstone card reader
1 WD black 640 GB drive (one more 1TB and 1 SSD drive in future)
sony DVD writer

How much power do I need? Is 650W overkill. I was planning to purchase an Antec Truepower New 650W PSU (on sale for $93 after rebate)

I considered seasonic S12II 520W (about $80) but thought for a few dollars it might be wise to go for 650W. I don't plan to use more than one GPU and dont plan on overclocking. If I don't really need 650W then although its only 13$ more then its 13$ wasted.

How much power do I really need and should I go for 650W??

More about : antec truepower 650w

a c 246 ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 2:50:01 AM

The Seasonic S12II is a very strong unit and did amazingly well at JG. It will have more than enough power for any single card with 40A on its 12V rail. The TP650 does have the advantage of being modular so if you are big on having a nice tidy case the TP-650 is the way to go. Either one will be plenty of power for your system.
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 3:07:20 AM

the seasonic S12II is a very high wuality psu and will easily run that configuration. it will even handle the additional hard drive and extra 4gb ram u want to addlater.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 3:21:30 AM

Get the Antec True Power it will give plenty of headroom for upgrades it is a tad overkill but will ensure you will be able to add more poerfull GPU in the future and crossfire or SLI will be fine with thaat card beside the HD5970 or the GTX 470 any other cards you will have no problems with.

I have been running Antec products since the late 90s and have never had a problem with any of their units.
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 3:27:54 AM

I'll make it simple for you:

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency and the brand new Nvidia GTX480 Fermi which uses a lot more power.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty.
a b ) Power supply
May 12, 2010 1:25:41 AM

lfforte said:
I seem to get different results for calculated power requirement for my system

My build:
asus p7p55D-E Pro
intel i5 750
4GB ram DDR3 Pc12800 (add another 4GB in the future)
Radeon HD 4850 Graphics
silverstone card reader
1 WD black 640 GB drive (one more 1TB and 1 SSD drive in future)
sony DVD writer

How much power do I need? Is 650W overkill. I was planning to purchase an Antec Truepower New 650W PSU (on sale for $93 after rebate)

I considered seasonic S12II 520W (about $80) but thought for a few dollars it might be wise to go for 650W. I don't plan to use more than one GPU and dont plan on overclocking. If I don't really need 650W then although its only 13$ more then its 13$ wasted.

How much power do I really need and should I go for 650W??

Hi Lfforte,

I would recommend going to the link below to calculate how much power is needed for your system.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

I can tell your system is pretty new but what I would keep in mind when it comes to PSU is if you're planning to upgrade your system 3-5 years down the line. For example, you might upgrade your video card to a ATI 5870 in the future or maybe even crossfire your 4850. Like the others have said, if it's only a few dollars difference I'd recommend the 650w.

Antec

!